SeaMonkey the perfect browser for LXLE
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Below is an oldie but goodie review. Many 'shortcomings' were addressed with mods. :)

Seamonkey review: Firefox’s lightweight hyper-functional cousin

I admit it, Seamonkey definitely isn't the lightest weight browser-- far
    from it. But for the crazy amount of functionality it provides, this is
    as lightweight as it gets!

Mar 16, 2015

http://www.linuxveda.com/2015/03/16/seamonkey-review-firefoxs-lightweight-hyper-functional-cousin/

• iduhknoiduhkno
    PMPosts: 161
    @lxle   SeaMonkey keeps telling me that it isn't up to date, and that gmail is no longer supported in it.  Last few days.  Any ideas what's going on?? 
    Loving Eclectica, 16.04.2 64bit
  • lxlelxle
    I think Google simply doesn't recognize seamonkey as firefox and or a mozilla browser.
  • iduhknoiduhkno
    PMPosts: 161
    Bottom line... should I worry and switch browsers for gmail?  Or just carry on?
    Loving Eclectica, 16.04.2 64bit
  • lxlelxle
    it's the same code essentially, so i wouldn't sweat it, but... you know whatever seems right.
    Thanked by 1iduhkno
  • @iduhkno better don't use Google Chrome. Some say there are privacy issues http://www.extremetech.com/computing/210576-why-im-dumping-google-chrome
    Gmail with Seamonkey is possible. You have to generate a special password. This will be send on your mobile by SMS.  
  • The problem with Seamonkey is the version number. Google and others think you are running an outdated code with known security issues. To prevent malware spread over your browser, Seamonkey will be rejected.
  • lxlelxle
    Google will eventually consider all code dangerous except for theirs.
  • I'm on Windows 8.1, not Linux, but am aiming to primarily use SeaMonkey.  One hurdle was that my bank didn't like it and wouldn't let me in without "updating" my browser; instead I changed the useragent string.  Once done, Google didn't like it, so I changed to a different useragent string, and it's been good with the bank, Google & everywhere else (spoofing the latest Firefox).  I found out customizing the address bar does not save if divider lines or spaces are used; I put everything on the Menu Bar and removed the spacers/lines, and it saves.  Easier with SeaMonkey Mail.

I'm worried about the LastPass exploit, as there is no updated addon for SeaMonkey.

A couple of current annoyances is that I like to return to the last used tab when closing a new tab, but it takes me to the last tab instead.  And I just got an email with an img.jpg, and it opened in SeaMonkey instead of my default program, Irfanview.  Don't know how to fix that, and right-clicking on the image icon does not give the option to "open with".

SeaMonkey is definitely lightweight compared to Firefox, but even more so than Chrome.
    --
    Lore Galore
  • SeaMonkey, subjectively, is like, 3 times slower than Chromium (open source basic engine from which Chrome is made)
  • lxlelxle
    LOL, now that I don't believe at all, if you said chromium uses 3 times more ram, then that I would have believed.