OS & LS Release Candidates + 32bit sees upgrade
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    After many requests for a 32bit version of LXLE based on 14.04 it was clear that regardless of any technical reasons for pausing the 32bit at 12.04 listening to users and their needs ultimately made the final decision.

All versions of LXLE have been updated including the preceding 12.04.5 32bit to reflect the changes introduced in 14.04.3.

In the OS version of LXLE; Minitube was dropped because it now demands VLC (twin codecs). Galculator swapped for Gnome Calculator due to many user requests. Startup DiskCreator replaced with Multiboot USB for many extra features.

In the LS version of LXLE; phpTimeclock was replaced by Ice HRM for more features/flexibility. Lanpage received work schedules, in-house news, faq, bulletin board system and targeted search.

Overall; Many bug fixes. This is also our largest release candidate consisting of one 1204 and two 14.04 isos, each has their own corresponding LS business release, totaling 6 RC ISOs available for download/testing.

As a footnote, our sister project TechTyranny News has also seen an update, turning to Pligg CMS to help drive its shady technology related news content.

Full release notes will be available if the RC's go final.

Screenshots of the OS and LS desktops can be seen below.

LXLE OS

http://lxle.net/images/bar1.png

LXLE LS

http://lxle.net/images/bar2.png

The RC's can be found on SourceForge.

Finally, the 14.04 32bit versions of lxle are heavier than their 64bit siblings. After combing through everything included it seems some packages are naturally larger in the 32bit version than the 64bit.

Thanks in advance and if there are any show stoppers please post them here to this thread.
  • Hi,
    it would be nice if you could rename the ISO files so that they reflect the version 12.04. or 14.04.
    On my Via VX800 only 12.04. based ISOs run with openchrome driver, those based on 14.04. run only with vesa driver.
    What happened: I went to sourceforge.org searched LXLE got the link to lxle-ls-32.iso displayed as recent downloads and clicked on that. I read before what LS would stand for, so I thought this one was the right. I managed to check that this was the wrong one and saved myself an hour of download time and maybe istallation and reinstallation hassle. :)
    I didn't notice any issues. Before this time I've already installed LXLE once but them misconfigured the xorg.conf file and installed Linux Mint 13 which boot debugger told me what was wrong with the file (some free spaces where there should have been Tabs).
    What I like about LanShop: I like to have no Games menu entry. I'm a home user, but interested in FOSS enterprise solutions. The next econimic crisis will come and the idea will come to business people, that FOSS is not only cheap but the coming employee generation is more used to LibreOffice than to MS Office. ;)
    I think that software selection of LanShop is quite interresting and with some trainig and consulting a small enterprise could definetly work well with LXLE. It would be a breakthrough if you managed to add different localizations but that's a question of manpower I suppose.
    PS: I'm very thankful to have such a beautiful OS which runs on my peculiar PC and is still supported! I'm looking forward to discoved what tweaks and developments you have made to keep the distro up to date! Where can I read about it best in the release notes I guess? And I hope you won't drop support for the 12.04. version at least until 2017 at least.
  • bhus1bhus1
    PMPosts: 8
    //quote on:// After many requests for a 32bit version of LXLE based on 14.04 it was clear that regardless of any technical reasons for pausing the 32bit at 12.04 listening to users and their needs ultimately made the final decision. //quote off//

this is really great news. I been helping a lot of people out reviving their old systems with this wonderful distro.

one question - for me the most important one - I would like to ask:
    Will there be an upgrade path from 12.04 to 14.04 32 bit?

thank you and keep up the great work
    bhus1