Replacement for Windows Home Server
  • I saw that there is a small business version of LXLE in development, and that started a thought process in my brain.

I would like to see a linux-based replacement for Windows Home server that can be utilized on older/low-end hardware for simple things like file sharing, managing backups, maybe media streaming (though I personally use file shares and mapped network drives), etc.

FreeNAS and similar seem rather complicated to me, and I read something about them saying they need 4GB RAM MINIMUM (recommended 8 or 16GB). Also, I have always struggled quite a bit with Linux shares and security permissions.

My current Home Server is running Windows 7 Pro tweaked down as to run as best it can on the hardware.
    The PC is a 2.1GHz AMD Athlon X2 CPU (45w TDP), ASRock AM2/AM2+/AM3 GeForce 72xx/nForce 6-based Motherboard, 2GB of DDR2 RAM, a 160GB boot drive, then two 500GB internal drives, a 500GB external drive, and a 1TB external drive. The hardware in this "server" is more or less what I had laying around that wasn't a power-hungry monster and had 4 SATA ports on the motherboard.

As far as software I have set up on it, Team Viewer, DuckDNS Updater, and Transmission-QT.  I currently use Team Viewer for accessing and managing the system, as well as a pseudo-FTP server as I couldn't quite get FileZilla server working.  Future plans is to replace the hodge-podge mess of hard drives with one large RAID 5 array partitioned out and to run Crash Plan on it for backups, but this will wait until I can afford new hard drives.

All this could be done in Linux quite well, but there is no version that I know of that makes home environment server configuration "easy."

I like the idea of an LXLE-based home server system (one of the big complaints about running a GUI on a server is the resource consumption). That being said, I realize that this is mostly wishful thinking (Linux filer permissions will still be Linux File permissions); but I figured I'd share the idea.
    Current LXLE systems:

Dell Inspiron 530 - Intel Core2 Duo E7300 2.66Ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4350, ViewSonic 19" 1280x1024 and Benq 17" 1280 x 1024.

IBM Thinkpad R51, Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache, 2GB DDR RAM, Mobility Radeon 7500 GPU

Dell Latitude D620, Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Quadro 110M
  • Amahi looks quite interesting. I've never heard of it before. Thank you!