Does anyone actually use Minitube?
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    The new version is demanding vlc to be installed with it. I'm not sure if I'm willing to change the video player. While cases have been made that VLC is a great player that handles a bunch. The current video player is tied to many codecs that already come preinstalled due to other requirements by different programs for the same codecs. Using VLC instead would be bringing in a second batch of codecs many of them being the same instead of using the pre-existing ones as the other programs do, this would add to the iso file size by having double the codecs to do mostly the same job. So I'm thinking of perhaps dropping minitube from default to avoid being tied to a particular video player for it to work.

Thoughts are welcome.
  • rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210
    I don't think losing minitube would be any great loss. We can always install it later if we want. Especially if it's going to require more space on the iso due to a vlc dependency.

I have used it in the past but because a lot of video's didn't play for me, I just got used to using the browser.

I also not long ago got a message that minitube was no longer going to be compatible with youtube. I guess thats why it's requiring vlc now.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    OK, it was originally intended to give older computers the ability to be mini tv-like boxes without the 'overhead' of say a netflix, mythtv, hulu desktop, xmbc, etc etc.
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    If it's only iso size you're concerned about, I'd leave it ~ it's been a long time since peeps used CDs or very small USB drives for iso burns.  DVDs are pretty much standard for disc burning now and it's hard to find a USB drive smaller than 2gb.

imo, this distro IS aimed at older computers and iso size has nothing to do with that, beyond the install.  However, most folks want a good experience even if they are tied to less than bleeding edge hardware and installing apps that offer whiz-bang and sparklies without taxing hardware is a plus for delivering on what users actually DO with their computers.