Some nuisances to solve on LXLE 14.04.2
  • Good day to all.
    I love LXLE series, however, this one came with some problems...
    - live session: Icedtea-plugin is missing. What's the use of having java (jdk) without the browser plugin?
    -
    I can't install 14.04.2 or 12.04.5 by pendrive (error by the end of
    installation) . Md5sum is OK. Tried unetbootin and Mint USB drive
    creator
    - live session: libre-office complains about some business of permission and tries to recover some file
    - live-session: can't install anything because we don't have permission to open the "lock" file at /var/cache/apt/archives (I renamed it as root and worked)
    -
    Seamonkey: some sites aren't displayed. I repaired this eliminating the
    Stylish addon and removing others that have compatibility forced
    - Please change from xarchiver to file-roller: because xarchiver doesn't create packages divided in parts and with password
    - Please change from galculator to gnome-calculator: because galculator doesn't do a simple operation like this: 100 + 20% =

This is all that I remember by now. Please keep it up. LXLE saved my netbook!
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    icedtea-7-plugin is installed by default

install issues sound like a corrupted download, md5sum numbers won't always be honest. This happened to someone else recently as well. Reformat the usb stick, redownload the iso.

What sites didn't work in seamonkey? if any most likely it was bluhell firewall, disabling it either temporarily or permanently might have worked as well. If you have any example sites I'd like to try them out.

xarchiver was picked due to ram usage, i'll check out gnome-calculator
  • Thanks for answering!

- Badly, the icedtea-7-plugin isn't installed by default at LXLE 14.04.2. Please, try a live session of it and you will confirm that at plugins list of seamonkey and you can confirm on synaptic as well. I had to install it for java support on seamonkey.

- I will try another pen drive for installing LXLE. Can you mention a more accurate sum for LXLE 14.04.2? Like sha256?

- Some sites at my contry (Brazil) doesn't open with actual settings of Seamonkey, like this one: www.oi.com.br  (it's a telephony/internet company at my country). I solved the problem just disabling stylish and other addons not compatible to seamonkey, also, enabling addons checking. It's not a proper Seamonkey problem; I work using it for years. Good choice for LXLE!
    Bluhell firewall isn't a problem, yet it's more permissive than adblock plus.

- Please, drop galculator and xarchiver for gnome-calculator and file-roller; LXLE fans will be happy.

- There's also something: the "logout" dialog. Why not use the Lubuntu dialog like before?  The problem of actual dialog is that it can't be localized to another language besides english (I had to modify the text script myself) and we need to clicks to activate a command (this is a pain while using a mousepad on a netbook...). The Lubuntu dialog seems more practical.

Thanks again for answering. Congratulations for this very usefull OS.
  • binbin
    PMPosts: 41
    There seem to be a few places where user qwerty makes it across to an installed system.

The libre-office file is one. If you look in ./~config/libreoffice/4 there's a lock file for qwerty that presumably was created when the system was being tested and got left behind on ISO build.

I also found qwerty when looking at the bookmarks for file manager in ./~config/gtk-3.0/

There may be more but that's all I've seen so far.
  • iduhknoiduhkno
    PMPosts: 161
    Thanks, bin.
    So, what should I do? 
    Could you please advise me?
    Loving Eclectica, 16.04.2 64bit
  • binbin
    PMPosts: 41
    As regards your java query - normally all you need is covered by javascript built into the browser.

The installation problem is a pain. Your USB stick needs to be formatted FAT32. You may need to use a windows machine to flush out all the partitions on the stick if you don't have a normal working linux system. I have had problems with drives after using Mint USB drive - and I am a very, very, long term Mint user. YMMV

lxle's advice is correct - I know that the web in Brazil can be hit and miss at the best of times. Use a download manager such as downthemall in Firefox and see if that helps - it can be set to a higher number of connection retries with suspend and continue.

I use this as a matter of routine to ensure my keys are clean - it really is good!!
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

Normally I would only install small apps on a live system - if you don't have much RAM then there may not be enough room! However I haven't seen a lock file issue on 14.04 so cannot comment - though your solution is correct.

I've created a new thread on the config files.
    http://www.lxle.net/forums/discussion/930/user-qwerty-in-config-files-on-installed-system