Gaming on LXLE
  • I've found that my netbook can't really handle Steam.  I've managed to get a few games to work (more didn't) but they were too laggy to bother with.   I've not had a lot of joy with playonlinux or wine either

What does work surprisingly well is emulation.   Gameboy Color, GBA, Medadrive, ZX Spectrum....all working great....and giving me a good blast of nostalgia as well as a good selection of games to play. Even Playstation 1 works works just about well enough

Sure, there are plenty of good games in the repos, but I find the selection a bit restrictive.   

I'm now loving my old netbook now I have lxle on it....but for me gaming is the thing that is still second best compared to windows.....

What do you lot do gaming wise on your lxle system?

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    I'm guessing since it's a netbook you're using the 32bit version of LXLE. Here are a couple good sites to check out. The PlayDeb repository is already enabled. As far as comparing Linux games to Windows games it's not going to happen. Remember PC games are primarily designed for Windows then you also have to take into account the portability of Xbox games to Windows since they share a number of libraries. So in other words it's not a comparison. On top of that most games for Linux are given away free. That is actual free not free to play or demo.

More often than not Windows users expect Linux to be like something in which they commonly pay money for yet don't want to pay or donate to Linux development. That is always going to let you down. You may think you don't pay for Windows but you do, about an extra 100 dollars at least is added to the price tag of each an every computer you buy.

http://www.penguspy.com
    http://www.playdeb.net/updates/Ubuntu/12.04/

For a netbook with relatively limited ram and processing power here are just a couple games I would suggest that aren't already included in the distro.

frozenbubble
    sauerbraten
    Zaz
    supertuxcart
    extremetux racer
    Secret Maryo Chronicles
    blobwars

All are available through synaptic package manager.
  • Thanks, those websites are great.  To be honest, it's surprised me I'm even considering games. After all, I only replaced XP to see if LXLE could breathe life into my dead netbook- I wasn't sure what I'd do with it.

Turns out I've not used the recently bought windows 8 family PC since!  I've realised I can do everything my PC can do but much more enjoyably with LXLE

I like professionally put together 90's style games that don't take much of my time.  Stuff like chicken invaders is perfect for me!   And I've had a second go at reinstalling playonlinux - this time the winetricks menu has appeared and works brilliantly.  I also like familiar 90's classic strategy games, and now I have access to plenty

Whatever OS I use, with these specs I'm looking at low-end resource gaming....and linux caters extremely well.    Now that steam supports linux...the only gaming I can't do with my netbook....could be fine if I installed LXLE 64 bit on my desktop....

I'm very tempted to do that, but a bit nervous ( I'm still only half way through paying for it, and it wasn't cheap!)

I'm married with 3 teenagers.   My wife used the new PC once and didn't like it (she now has an ipad and loves it).  Two of my kids don't like it either, leaving one who loves it because he is a steam addict!

My own take on Windows8 is that they tried to push a touchscreen/tablet OS design onto a traditional desktop environment with a  mouse...and nobody tested it!

It's a shame about the secure boot thing with windows 8 - I'd love to be able to dual boot, but having googled it, I'm not confident enough I'd get it right

My last thought on LXLE - this forum is quiet...because LXLE just works! Hardly anyone needs help!

Well done, and many thanks again

• lxlelxle
    Did you try any of the suggestions?
  • I'm working my way through them thanks...and so far they are all great games.  They are slick and professional, and work great on the netbook.  I'm also pleased to have found Open Sonic!

My first attempts at gaming weren't so good. The software centre is slow. Synaptic seems much quicker, but it seems old fashioned - and I found it hard to get a feel for what you are downloading before you install it.  You can download a screenshot, although that didnt work for me.   I think that's why I prefer the two websites you shared

Some of the games I installed didn't then appear in the games menu.  I like shooters.....I've discovered that I can get Geki2 to work by typing that name into the terrninal.   I've tried the menu editor but I couldn't figure out how to get Geki2 in there properly.   And the game is windowed.  When a game has no configeration options.....is there a way to force full screen ?  There are probably several games I've installed but can't remember what they were called that aren't in the menus....

But yes, now I've spent more time looking into gaming, it's clear there is more than enough to keep me happy.  I've even managed to get my simcity3000 going with playonlinux......

• lxlelxle
    it's best to browse the web and or look things up online and then use synaptic to install.
    Thanked by 1mrwaistcoat
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads