Disable Syncthing from starting up on login.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    It seems someone over at Syncthing wrongly thought it would be a good idea to enable syncthing to startup everytime you login to the desktop and respawn itself when you shut it down. Not sure what they were thinking but if it persists in the next update of syncthing I will be pulling it as a default app for LXLE in 14.04.2  Considering LXDE desktop doesn't recognized the upstart directly in the autostart options located in lxsession default applications you must disable it manually. This saves a considerable amount of ram, particularly if you don't use syncthing all the time or at all.

Now of course you could remove syncthing entirely using synaptic package manager, but if you would like to keep it around and just disable this ridiculous inclusion of it continuously running even when you don't want it to, its actually pretty simple.

Simply open up a terminal and enter the following

sudo rm /etc/xdg/upstart/syncthing.conf

Hit enter, enter your password and your done.
    Thanked by 2OtakuN3rd Zaka
  • Hi!

For regular users that choose to install Syncthing, it makes sense that it starts up by default. The more frequently we sync, the fewer conflicts we will have.

However, Syncthing & Syncthing-GTK installed by default on LXLE is different because we can't assume that people will use it.

This being said, once a user clicks on Syncthing-GTK in the menu, we can assume he wants to use it. The ideal would be a setting:
    * Start Syncthing upon logging in (Always / Never / if it's been more than 1 week)
    And perhaps this setting should be asked at the first run.

Related link:
    https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing/issues/1313

Thanks!

M ;-)
  • Just copy paste from github:

Just out of curiosity, who is actually building LXDE packages? That guy on LXDE forum clearly believes that upstart script is syncthing dev's fault and as far as I know, nobody here provides packages officially. It's rather weird situation over there...

Probably most user-friendly way how to do autostart in LXDE would be not by using upstart service starting by default, but to let user to enable autostarting with session in ST-GTK ui settings dialog.

As far as I know, there is no upstart service provided by Syncthing official releases.
  • lxlelxle
    More of my mistake than anything, the syncthing ppa currently in use apparently is not 'official' (because they don't have one) so the inclusion of the upstart script is a per compilers optional choice during the build. I'll have make adjustments in the next update.
    Thanked by 1iduhkno
  • So are we all good now?   Thanks!
  • marclaportemarclaporte
    PMPosts: 10
    Niklas Sombert informed me that he's "uploaded the current version and disabled the auto start."

Thanks!
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • I did a fresh install of the recently released LXLE, and it now seems to by Syncthing and no longer Syncthing-GTK. Is this intentional?

Thanks!
  • lxlelxle
    there isn't a syncthing-gtk for the 32bit in 12.04
  • iduhknoiduhkno
    PMPosts: 161
    I'm having problems figuring out how to enable syncthing. 

Error message :  Stopping folder "default" - mkdir /home/qwerty: Permission denied.

Not sure were qwerty came from, after recent LXLE 64 bit installation. 
    Qwerty showed up somewhere else, when I opened a component of Libre office.
    Eventually it just found its way to my home, properly named.

Not so with syncthing qwerty-PC... cuz that is an alien in my box.
    Loving Eclectica, 16.04.2 64bit
  • iduhknoiduhkno
    PMPosts: 161
    SOLVED??
    I completely un-installed and reinstalled syncthing a few times in SPM.
     (Thought qwerty's appearance might be a problem of the DVD installation media, or desktop install vs. USB install).

Then I just fiddled around, added the folder I wanted where I wanted it, and DELETED the curious home/qwerty/syncthing file - using their website in browser.

Things seem to work now. 

Loving Eclectica, 16.04.2 64bit