Google Use
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Help define our Google custom search..
  • wow, i would have to disagree; encouraging any use of google at all is counterproductive (for linux, and for users in general), except in the rare case when nothing else will do; google is the last resort, like a hammer; but, sometimes a nail really is a nail
    i was going to suggest 'startpage.com' as an alternative to google, as i believe they use the same results
    or scroogle, iirc
    hmm, i really can't think of a reason to use google as a default search engine; perhaps they just want to use it because of android devices that require a google account, so it ties in to that;  occasionally i do use the google reverse image search when tineye gives me 0; also, sometimes duckduckgo is a bit weak, but i'd rather use yahoo or even bing first
    ... there is dogpile, and i remember metacrawler, which include google in their compiled results
    ok, i'd have to say that you should do a meta-meta-search gateway, including also google, just to be fair, and offering the selection of 'primary' search engine results, which would weigh that one source above others, and offer relevant links like gmail, googleplus, etc, or yahoo, yahoo plus, or whatever, or bing, bing plus, lol
    that would make me proud
    hope it helps
    (*cough* *google* *cough* *goo-glee* *blech*)
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    The thread you posted it to is strictly for suggestions to add to the custom Google Search page, I have my suspicions about Startpage. If scroogle was shutdown by Google and startpage is essentially identical to scroogle then what is their special relationship? Also I don't believe you stumbled upon this thread yet.

http://lxle.net/forum/#/discussion/613/why-does-lxle-support-039this039-but-not-039that039

DuckDuckGo is the only search engine I use 90/95 % of the time. Occasionally I'll search Google for specific purposes. DuckDuckGo however has gotten better and better year after year month after month. It's also the only search engine that supports opensource projects and where most of their code is also opensource. Yahoo and Bing have both been named in handing over information the same as Google so... not necessary a first choice for me. Regardless of these things people still want and continue to use Google which is the reason for our custom search with DuckDuckGo influences. I guess I tend to lean toward projects that promote privacy plus have and support opensource projects. Just my two cents of course.