Green and free..
  • Hi all, I've done my share of distro hopping in the past and like the idea of free open source software, and what brought me to LXLE is looking for something that I can recommend to a local Freecycle style community in encouraging re-use of older equipment and curbing unnecessary eWaste. (I'm posting this from a P3 laptop running Crunchbang) It would be nice to hear a little from those that have been using LXLE regularly for a long time.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Install it on a machine and decide for yourself is the best way to figure out if its worth mentioning.
  • Will do, I don't imagine most people would be up for using something like Crunchbang but a P4 with a gig of ram would be a nice candidate for LXLE, and I'd like to try it myself.
  • lxlelxle
    i don't know how this idea of crunchbang being lighter or able to run on hardware that lxle cannot but that's simply not the case.
  • I've downloaded LXLE 12.05 and have it burned. I may go ahead and skip the new Crunchbang. It's been a long time since I used that machine but the new #! is not as light as it used to be either, and I've waited largely due to an issue with the optical drive and the fact that it only has USB 1 ports, if it can even boot from USB. Besides I'm sure LXLE will save a lot of time in setting up all I need being more complete out of the box!
  • lxlelxle
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of crunchbang, it's an awesome distro, I was just trying to correct a misconception that I've noticed floating around in forums here and there.

Anything can boot from USB using Plop. Which can be found on the lxle wiki. http://wiki.lxle.net