Difference between LXLE, Lubuntu, Peppermint...
  • Hi everybody,

Since a few weeks i'm testing out some LXDE-based distro's and although some of them doesn't have what i'm looking for and some did, i noticed that all LXDE-based distro's basically are pretty much the same. LXLE is using LXDE also as default desktop environment and works the ssame way as Peppermint, Lubuntu, etc. 

This made me wonder: what is the prime difference between LXLE, Lubuntu, Peppermint, PCLinuxOS, etc.? What defines LXLE?

Hope someone can share his thoughts about this...

ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*RaLink RT2500 802.11g*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    The GUI mainly ~ and the choice of apps.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Not even close, there is so much under the hood that different than lubuntu or peppermint that you can't just equate it to layout and number or apps. Case in point you could rip out every app from lxle and it still won't fit on a normal cd, because the underlying technologies included with lxle are far more than whats standard with peppermint or lubuntu.
    Thanked by 2Zaka bhus1
  • What are some of these extra underlying technologies? I'm having trouble finding a good list. The wallpapers are often-mentioned, of course, but not whatever deeper things you're referring to.
  • An exemple : I don't know what is lying behind the scene in LXLE but I've been using Ubuntu since 9.04 and never been able to use reliably wifi on my laptop, I jumped from network manager to wicd and back again and back again without improvement. I've always been obliged to use an ethernet connection during years to have a steady internet connexion. Since I installed LXLE-12.04-5LTS I have a reliable wifi connexion and the ethernet cable has been stored in a cabinet. And this wifi connexion works well with internet and also with my HP printer/scanner ! I have upgraded to 16.04-1LTS and a few days ago to 4.8.0-34 hwe kernel and my laptop has even become a little faster.
  • famewolffamewolf
    PMPosts: 62
    lxle spends alot of time not only making sure the system as a whole looks great but it "just works" the way you expect it to.  It doesn't use any more system resources than necessary. Case in point...he setup a customized method to handle system updates because the "normal" method required keeping software in memory all the time vs his method which has no resource usage except when actually upgrading.  Just  made a donation to say thank you!  

I tried various distro's on my ancient 32-bit laptop with a single core sempron in it, even ones with a lighter footprint (and lighter functionality out of the box) but keep coming back to lxle.  If I wasn't so used to KDE i'd probably have it on my main machine as well.

Thanked by 1lxle