language to be installed upon installation ;]
  • so the installation asks me what language would I like to use. great! and it would be great if it would at least install this language during the process, better yet, made sure that I log in to a new shiny system with that language set as default and fully set.
    that would be a massive time saver in bigger deployments since full system localisation is surprisingly hard even with gnome-language-selector and that has bugs of it's own that I'm struggling with.
  • At installation, you are prompted with what language you want the installation process to happen. There is not written that this is also the language of the distro installation. LXLE is a lightweight Desktop environment that allows - after all upgrades needed for a new installation - to install your language of choice. I have a movie made for LXLE to show howe this is done. The lyrics are in the Flemish language (Belgium). I am, however, convinced that the images speak for themselves. You can find the movie on this Link:
  • forgot about this thread. I do know how to add languages, that's clear enough (although I did hit a 'bug', in that the language installer wouldn’t work without a apt-get update beforehand).
    it's my assumption that if a 'technical' person chooses to install the os in their native language there's a very high probability that the users won't use english either. plus, coupled with the above mentioned problem, it really is a pain to add language on say 20 boxes if there's no good way to script it. and than there's people who will not know how to do that, a video is not a good solution for an issue generated by the interface.

maybe it would be a good solution to at least have a check-box asking if said language should be installed? if it would be possible to gather statistic of installs with and without it, it would also clear whether it's needed or not