Changing Closing Lid Action
  • Hi All,

New to LXLE 14  over the weekend and love it. I am running the 64 bit on a Toshiba R705-P35. I am currently using my external monitor and would like to close the lid of my laptop and keep the power on.  (or have it do nothing when I close the lid). How do I do this? 

I have looked high and low and can't seem to find a fix or this option.

Thanks in advance for time and kind responses.

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Power management is handled automatically by tlp.

http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-linux-advanced-power-management.html
    Thanked by 1shakac
  • Thanks for the response.

I reviewed the link and could not find a command to change the close lid action. Can you post the command or let me know if there is some workaround.

• lxlelxle
    Might want to take a look in xscreensaver as well and its monitor settings.

If that doesn't work then

sudo tlp ac

should do the trick.
  • Thanks again. But no luck. 

The terminal command did not work and the xscreensaver does not have this option.

Any other suggestions?
  • rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210
    sudo apt-get remove tlp

sudo apt-get install xfce4-power-manager

It uses more memory but it gives you full control over your laptop power settings. It was included in lxle, at one time.
  • lxlelxle
    If the laptop lid is shutting off after a predetermined time then it might be xscreensaver settings which also has monitor settings. However rfry85 solution will work, albeit a hatchet to cut cheese.
  • rfry85rfry85
    I follow you, @lxle. But you just gave me a heck of an Idea to maybe eliminate xfce4-power-manager. If it pans out I'll post it.

Thanked by 1shakac
  • Thanks rfry85. Your fixed worked and after spending too many hours on this it's the only solution out there. 

One thing to note is that a restart is needed after the installation. It will allow you to launch xfce power manager the first time. However, if you just log out and in, you will get a "cannot connection" message if you try to launch the xfce power manager again.
    Thanked by 1rfry85
  • rfry85rfry85
    Glad It worked. Thanks for posting the restart info, it may help someone else.
  • Hi All,

I just did a full test and while I can close my lid without the laptop shutting down, I know have the issue of no output to my external monitor.

I restarted and logged into my Linux Mint and Windows partitions and was able to get a output signal and use my external monitor.

Any suggestions.

Is LXLE primarily designed for Desktops?

Thanks in advance.