Awesome Ubuntu or Debian based light distros.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    I am a huge fan of many Linux distributions. Choice is always good and distro hopping is fun.

Here is my list of super cool, lightweight/minimalist distro's besides LXLE.

1. Lubuntu
    2. Crunchbang
    3. Zorin Lite
    4. Linux Lite
    5. Watt OS
    6. Bodhi Linux
    7. antiX
    8. Puppy Linux
    9. Peppermint OS
    10. ZevenOS
  • Anonymouse52Anonymouse52
    PMPosts: 170
    I use Bodhi a lot, and Manjaro too.
  • ScottScott
    PMPosts: 20
    I'm constantly impressed with antiX. Here's a great 'getting started/beginner' resource for the distro:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/runwiththedolphin/videos

• fa1zfa1z
    PMPosts: 1
    I am curious about Watt OS but LXLE is kind of addictive and seriously not willing to go through the process.
  • I was really impressed with MX-14 until it starting slowing down and locking up two or three times every day. To be fair though, my computer is an ancient relic, like one step up from an abacus. Yet it runs better on LXLE than it did on any other distro including the very minimal and ingenious Openbox/Debian derivative Crunchbang.

Maybe someone geekier than me can explain it, but why do Ubuntu-based distros fly so much faster and farther than Debian-based ones?  Ubuntu is from Debian I know, but my Debian-based favorites (Crunchbang, AntiX, MX, SalineOS) always run slower and eventually tend to lock up, while my 'buntu-based favorites (Xubu until 14.04, and LXLE) run like crazy, and trouble-free?  I mean the traditional wisdom - even from Ubuntuers - goes like this:

Ease and convenience comes at a price: Speed and efficiency are what is sacrificed in order to gain simplicity, beauty, and ease of use.

Therefore:

Debian + (Xfce/LXDE/KDE/whatever) is twelve zillion percent faster than X/L/K/whatever-ubuntu, and six zillion percent faster than minimal Ubuntu + Xfce/LXDE/KDE/whatever.

My experience has consistently been exactly the opposite for 4 years now. I enjoy the beauty, simplicity, elegance, and ease of use of my favorite 'buntu derivatives without any loss of speed compared to my favorite Debian (direct) derivatives - including Debian itself. 

Whyyyyyyy?  Somebody 'splain this to me b'cause I just don't get it!

• I also like Centrych 12.04.2 LTS.  I have it on my old HP laptop with Pentium M chip along with LXLE 12.04 upgrade and Linux Lite 1.0.0, also based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.  They all work exceptionally on that non-pae enabled chip.
  • Apart from Watt OS and ZevenOS, I have tried all the other Distros but prefer LXLE over all of them.  LXLE just seems to work on whatever I install it whereas I have had problems with some of the others such as not finding the wi-fi and graphic card problems.

I've also tried Mint.  So many people rave about how good it is and I feel I should like it because of all the rave reviews it gets, but I don't!
  • Really impressed with MX and surprised it doesn't get more exposure / reviews / hits

i have two very old netbooks - lxle works well on every machine I've tried. On one of those old machines though, MX seems to suit the machine more than any other disto.  I had trouble getting online with some of the above distros

as for puppy,  macpup is awesome and really is a great USB persistence distro.  

I really love Knoppix - so frustrating that it's not designed for hard drive install. It's so lightening fast on USB I'd love to see it fly with a proper install

I have tried installing it - but it was impossible (for me!) to use synaptic then on

• rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210
    Knoppix was what first really got me started using linux. I used to do what they called a poor mans install, but it's been so long, I can't remember how I did it.
  • I've tried a few different releases just for the heck of it,  Ive reinstalled LXLE except for one release I installed on my sons laptop.  PicarOS.  That thing is just super fast compared to LXLE on there for some reason,  but it is a converted spanish release so there is a lot left to be desired.