Retiree With A Sudden Interest In Linux
  • BobbyRedBobbyRed
    PMPosts: 11
    Hi Y'all,

I'm a 71 year old retiree with long time experience dealing with computers.  Though not a programmer, I have a lot of experience building, troubleshooting and repairing computers.  Mostly for friends and friends of friends.  My services are free with lifetime support.   I have long term expeience in both IBM PC and Apple computers.   My computer experience is a logical extension a 30 year career in communications & electronics. 

I've suddenly become interested in Linux as a viable alternative to Windows & MAC.  What really irks me is Windows susceptibility to malware. crippleware and bloatware and the tight control by Apple.  I played around with early versions of Ubuntu back in the day but didn't followup.  Not too long ago, I installed Linux Mint 15 alongside Windows and found it very appealing.  Just recently, I picked up a Core Duo system without O/S for a song and installed Linux Mint 17-Cinnamon.   I'm using it exclusively for email, browsing & enrtertainment.  

I have a few old PC's sitting around, totally functional and gathering dust.  I took an old Pentium 4 system enhanced with a wopping 2gb of RAM up from 512mb and tried a few light Linux releases (LXDE, Puppy & LXLE).   I chose LXLE.   It appears to me to be the best choice for a Linux newcomer.

I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to install my wireless network printer in LXLE.  It was much easier than installing in Mint.   I'm keeping a few of my Windows 7 x64 systems as there are some things I can't do or don't know how to do in Linux. However, Linux has breathed new life in my computing interests as well as reviving some old hardware.  Just when I was going to order a Meh t-shirt and ball cap.

Warm Regards,
    BobbyRed

Thanked by 1Bapi_Linux
  • Welcome to the 'World of Linux' , Sir.
    Please click on "Mark as Solved" if your original question / problem got solved. This will help others.

'Lazy people will always find a short-cut for a difficult task"
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Just the ticket to perk up retirement, BobbyRed!  image