VPN Connection Problem
  • BobbyRedBobbyRed
    PMPosts: 11
    Linux newcomer with VPN connection problem.  

Enhanced LXLE Network Connections Manager with Ubuntu Open VPN.  Correctly configured two VPN's.  Unable to connect to either.  To be more exact, I'm unable to select either one.  I have no problem connecting to the internet.  Is there a plugin to LXLE that will provide me a Menu item that will allow me to select & launch a VPN similar to what's available in Linux Mint-Cinnamon? 
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Click on network icon in panel, select vpn then configure vpn.
  • BobbyRedBobbyRed
    Thank you for the quick response.  Partially solved.  There isn't a network icon in the panel.  I found it's location by accident when sliding my mouse across the panel.  It's panel location is functional. The VPN is properly configured.  When I connect to the VPN, the manager reports the VPN has been established.  However, I'm unable to send and receive data.

Any ideas?
  • BobbyRedBobbyRed
    I also configured a third VPN with the same result.  I checked all VPN's on a Linux Mint system and all are functioning normally.  Any ideas?
  • lxlelxle
    32 or 64 bit lxle?
  • BobbyRedBobbyRed
    32bit
  • lxlelxle
    Turn off the firewall, you must 'unlock' to enable or disable, it does not show the true state of the firewall until 'unlocked'
  • BobbyRedBobbyRed

Firewall unlocked and disabled.  Still unable to send/receive data when connected to VPN.  Able to send/receive data immediately upon disconnecting from VPN. 
  • lxlelxle
    Is network-manager-vpnc and network-manager-vpnc-gnome installed?
  • BobbyRedBobbyRed
    No they were not. I've since installed both and rebooted with the same result.  However, I did finally resolve the problem.  Here's how:  Contrary to the VPN host instructions, I decided to include a DNS address in Open VPN settings.  I used Google's Primary DNS 8.8.8.8.  As soon as I did, the problem was resolved.  My network is set up for DHCP, so this was quite a surprise.  I would like to know why.  If you have any clue please advise.

Before I go, I would like to thank you for all your time and assistance.  

Warm Regards,
    BobbyRed
    Thanked by 2lxle Zaka
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads