Reinstalled LXLE, grub borked
  • NikoZNikoZ
    PMPosts: 9
    I have initially installed LXLE with /home as a pre-formatted partition, but apparently that is not recommended practice as a lot of config files get lef behind.
    So I re-installed, this time following all the standard settings, installed all in one partition, and LXLE now works well with all the bells and whistles. The problem is that my other operating system doesn't show up in the boot menu anymore.

I should have another functioning OS, Bodhi Linux, usually shows up as Ubuntu 12.04, but it doesn't boot anymore. I've tried boot-repair tool, and got this output. Any ideas?

http://paste.ubuntu.com/7803639/
  • Try running from the LXLE installation;

sudo update-grub
  • NikoZNikoZ
    I should have mentioned in the first post that I have already tried to do that. I've also tried the boot-repair tool, which essentially re-installs grub while using os-prober, both to no avail.

• Can you try running in the LXLE install, to mount the Bodhi (sda1) main partition with:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

...then chroot to /mnt/sda1 and run:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

sudo update-grub
    Thanked by 1NikoZ
  • NikoZNikoZ
    I am sorry just want to confirm this. Bodhi is actually installed on sda6, sda1 is a boot partition.
    Do your directions still apply or should I tweak a bit? A bit out of my depth here...
  • OK...just substitute my sda1 directions with sda6...executed from your working LXLE install...

Here's a little reading on the chroot command...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BasicChroot

• NikoZNikoZ
    Hi, I've tried following your instructions but I keep getting messages that a given mount point doesn't exist.

:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/sda6
    mount: mount point /mnt/sda6 does not exist
    :~$ sudo mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/sda4
    mount: mount point /mnt/sda4 does not exist
    :~$ sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3
    mount: mount point /mnt/sda3 does not exist
    :~$ sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
    mount: mount point /mnt/sda2 does not exist
    :~$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    mount: mount point /mnt/sda1 does not exist
    :~$

:~$ cd /dev; ls | grep sda
    sda
    sda1
    sda2
    sda3
    sda4
    sda5
    sda6
    sda7
    sda8

• If the dir sda6 does not already exist in /mnt then do:

:~$ cd /mnt

:~$ sudo mkdir sda6

:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/sda6

:~$ cd /mnt/sda6
    Thanked by 1NikoZ
  • NikoZNikoZ
    In over my head, I can't seem to get it right. Its okay though, there is a new version of Bodhi around the corner, I will just reinstall. Thanks for your advice.
  • Best of luck.