Live USB won't boot
  • PogoPogo
    PMPosts: 9
    I just created a live USB using the Ubuntu live USB creator. I've been doing this using this USB for different distros over the past week, and it usually boots fine. When I
    boot to the USB, the boot stops at the boot: prompt. It looks like a
    terminal, and that I could type something to make progress, but I have
    no idea. Can anyone suggest a way forward?
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    reformat your usb to fat16, seems to work best if its being stubborn
  • PogoPogo
    Thanks lxle. that turned out to be a bit harder than I thought. I ended up using gparted which told me that it couldn't format the 8G stick to fat16, so I deleted the existing partition and created a single 4G fat16 partition and reinstalled. All good fun and interesting. The end result being absolutely no difference in the boot, but a small gain in knowledge and confidence.

I gave up trying to be elegant and used Brasero to burn the image to a DVD, and it booted immediately (if slowly).

I am running off it now, and apart from being slow, and not being able to save settings, It is a good thing.

I would like to figure out what the problem is, but the present task is to see how good lxle is on my netbook and decide if I should jump to it from Ubuntu 10.04 NBR.

Thanks again for your help.

Pogo.
  • PogoPogo
    And here's the kicker.

I reformatted the USB to fat32 and copied the iso onto it so that I could burn the dvd (serious shortage of cables).

Once lxle was up and running, I thought that I would try to make a live USB using its tool instead of the one in my U10.04NBR.

I thought that I would use the copy of the iso on the USB, but the choice wan never offered.

When the process was complete. I shut down and booted from the USB, and here I am.

So fat16 is not necessary. Something is going wrong using the Startup Disc Maker in Ubuntu.

I might have got better results using Unetbootin. I might try that next.

Thanks again. See you on the other side.

Pogo
  • PogoPogo
    And to finish this off, burning the live USB with Unetbootin worked fine.

So something goes astray when the Ubuntu Startup Disk Maker creates the boot image.

It might be peculiar to the version I have in 10.04, but every other Ubuntu flavour I have tried (8 of them) has worked fine.

Hope this all helps someone out.

Pogo.
    Thanked by 1Zaka