Chinese input problem
  • Paul1949Paul1949
    PMPosts: 10
    I'm studying Chinese, and really need Chinese input. I've installed the necessary language support, but the iBus daemon won't start, so I can't use Chinese pinyin input.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Do you also have a chinese keyboard, because ibus isn't needed for simple language support.  Did you drag and drop the language you want to the top of the list in the language selection tool?
  • Paul1949Paul1949
    The problem is I can't get a Chinese keyboard.  When I go to keyboard input methods to add one, I get the message that the iBus daemon isn't running, do you want to start it.  I hit 'yes,' and then I get the message "the iBus daemon could not be started in 5 seconds."

So, how do I get the iBus daemon to run?  Apparently it needs to be autorun when I log in, but I've no idea how to do that.
  • Paul1949Paul1949
    P.S.  It's not a question of simple language support.  I don't want my menus to be in Chinese.  I want to be able to switch between English and Chinese input when I'm entering text in Writer or elsewhere.  I had no problem with this in Ubuntu 14.04, and it's easy to do it in Windows.  But for some reason I can't get it to happen in LXLE.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    reinstall ibus and add the gtk switcher,

sudo apt-get --reinstall install ibus
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install ibus-gtk

if that doesn't work you can try adding

ibus-daemon

to your autostart located in preferences>default applications for lxsession
  • Paul1949Paul1949
    Worked like a charm!  Thanks for the help!

I love LXLE, so I'm glad to be able to use it for just about everything.  It's amazing how much faster Firefox and Libre Office load in LXLE that they do even in a fresh install of Win7 on the same laptop!  And Ubuntu 14.04 was even more sluggish than Windows!

Great work!
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads