Upgrade to lxle 14.04 while retaining /home
  • I am trying to upgrade from lxle 12.04 to 14.04 (64 bit) by using the "Other" option for partitioning, replacing the root partition (reformat mountpoint /) and keeping the home partition (retain mountpoint /home without reformatting).  The first time through, I did not delete any old hidden configuration files in my home directory.  When I booted the installed system, the window manager would not start.  After surfing the lxle forums and some ubuntu forums with no clear answer, I deleted most of the hidden configuration files in my home directory, and tried again.  This time, the window manager starts, but it is not the new lxle desktop configuration that appears.  In the XP paradigm, the start panel button is different, and the hidden left panel is missing.  If I create a new user and login to that account, everything looks right, including the bottom and pop-up left panels. I will try again to re-install after trying to do a more complete delete of the home configuration files.  Can anyone offer specifics for the configuration files in my home directory that I should I remove before I re-install to ensure that I get the standard lxle panel configurations?  Thanks in advance.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Thats because most people think that home stores just personal stuff, which is far from the truth, home store numerous system setting, configurations etc etc as hidden directories on home, the practice of saving or storing home on a different partition is really not a good way to switch or upgrade distros while retaining personal items. If you want to do it right and or salvage your current install take all the hidden files from the second users home that you created and copy them to you current users home directory.
    Thanked by 1wilbur
  • jp4iiiisjp4iiiis
    PMPosts: 2
    Thank you for your advice.  It worked.  I changed the user and group ids on all the hidden files in the second user home folder, and then copied all those files into my home folder, overwriting the files with the same name.  I retained the .mozilla folder and kept the other hidden folders for my user-installed LXLE 12.04 apps that were not in the second user directory.  Reboot, and voila, the beautiful LXLE desktop with all its features! Then upon re-installing my extra apps, all my settings, extensions, etc were retained.  Everything is now working great.  I remain impressed with LXLE and this new eXtra Luxury edition which is a thoughtfully conceived update to a great baseline.
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads