Direct upgrade 12.04.4 "previous" ro "revisited" possible?
  • hyllihylli
    PMPosts: 10
    Hi,

how can i upgrade directly from LXLE 12.04.4 "previous" to "revisited" without a new installation?

Hylli
  • Thank you for posting this question I'm curious what the answer will be  :)
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    No, simply because imagine if you had everything setup the way you like, and because the developer thought it was time, you next upgrade everything changed, from software to layout, etc etc. Would be pretty annoying and is the reason I personally rip out desktop metapackages from any distro I use. I understand why they are needed, but I don't like my system changing on me once I've been using it and customizing it to my liking.

So in other words, no, it won't update and for those reasons. Software of course stays updated but layout changes ect additional software etc. will not.
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    >>> I don't like my system changing on me once I've been using it and customizing it to my liking.<<<

• We beginners don't know how to rip out desktop metapackages.  Only one time did I install a newer version of Mint in the same partition.  Since I'm still running a duel boot, this isn't going to be easy to figure out.  I will need to use "Do something Else"  and some how direct the installer to the correct partition.  I Hope it will recognize the swap partition when I get done.  I say this because the last time I was using Zorin something strange happened to the swap partition.  It literally began using part of the ram as swap, as well as the actual swap partition.  Nobody on the linuxdistrocommunity forums could help me figure out why.