LXLE 14.04 strange repeating crackling/popping sound
  • rmanrman
    PMPosts: 6
    Hi all!

Observed a strange sound behaviour after switching on my speakers for the first time in LXLE 14.04. The sound is like switching on the power of speakers and the sound is repeating every second.
    Most strange of all: this sound does not stop even when I mute the sound in the panel!!!
    The sound disappears, when I
    - play music (i.e. with Audacious)
    - start the Pulse Audio volume control (without changing any settings!)
    This problem does not occur with Kubuntu 14.04 or with Lubuntu 14.04.

Any idea how to fix this?

Regards,

Reinhold
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Are you triple booting? Or is the Kubuntu and Lubuntu OS's on a different machine?
  • lxlelxle
    Check the port your plugged into, and open pulse audio volume control to check settings.
  • rmanrman
    Actually I have
    - Kubuntu 14.04
    - LXLE 14.04
    - Kubuntu 12.04.4
    - LXLE 12.04.4
    and
    - Windows 7
    on the same machine (for support and test reasons).
    LXLE 14.04 has replaced Lubuntu 14.04 on that machine. The sound problem does only occur with LXLE 14.04.

Regards,

Reinhold
  • lxlelxle
    Not sure, perhaps Lubuntu 14.04 is a better fit.
  • rmanrman
    Of course I can live without a LXLE 14.04 on that machine but...
    I learned to love LXLE (with version 12.04), because it is a LTS version and it has useful and important extras out of the box. Until now I recommended LXLE to friends and clients (yes, and it installed it on their machines), since I am the one who has to give support just in case. LXLE is the distribution of my choice and I would like to install and recommend it (with version 14.04) in the future too.

Regards,

Reinhold
  • lxlelxle
    I just want you to have a successful linux box, i don't care if its lxle or not, so long as it works as intended, thats the only reason I suggested using Lubuntu 14.04 on that machine, I'm not sure why the crackling would occur.
  • lxlelxle
    I just read that it may be related to TLP power manager adjusting power settings to audio when not in use.
  • lxlelxle
    A user emailed me his solution after suggesting to take a look at TLP

I didn't found any specific option for this problem in "/etc/default/tlp", so the issue was solved with TLP_ENABLE=0.
    Thanked by 1Zaka
  • rmanrman
    Thank you very much! TLP obviously was the reason.
    'sudo tlp ac' solved the problem. I added 'tlp ac' to rc.local too.

Regards,

Reinhold
    Thanked by 2Zaka wilbur
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads