LXLE 12.04.4 32bit crashed, won't recover.
  • So, I somehow improperly closed my laptop (Acer Aspire 5250) without shutting down in the typical manner, and now my OS won't load.  Specifically, it arrives to my login screen, where I can select "paradigms" (I'm still new to this OS) and enter my password.  It either freezes before or after I enter my information.  Live booting LXLE with the installation disc won't work; it won't load the environment.

I am using my Mint 16 XFCE live boot to get into my system, but I cannot copy files from my desktop due to admin access issue.  I believe it is because of my aforementioned password.  My problem is, I do not know how to use my Mint 16 live boot to tell my HDD that I have the "key" to open its "lock."  I am trying to search to find a situation that matches mine, with file rescue (text files, really) in mind.  Which brings up a funny aside: In my HDD Downloads folder, I can drag/drop and copy fine, but it's items from the LXLE desktop that won't allow it.

I have tried to find terminal commands that allow me to "communicate" my access permission via the Mint live boot, but my efforts continue to fall short.  (I am less than a year in using alternative OSes.)  To give a small visual reference, the icons in my file manager whilst browsing the desktop folders, show all icons with an "X," suggesting something of a prohibiting nature.

Any pointers?
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Have you tried just selecting logging off or shutting down (rather than trying to login) when you 1st boot up?

You might try removing the battery for a clean sweep of everything.  If it won't boot after that, it could well be the grub/mbr got hosed.

I'm not a grub champ, as it were.  And, if it were me, I'd just give up and reinstall LXLE ~ but you are saying the DVD won't load the live version where you can select the 'install' option?

Hopefully another will chime in here with some more robust suggestions for you.
  • I found my solution.  I had to open up a terminal and use GKSUDO in order to gain superuser access rights, which then enabled me to copy over from my read-only HDD over to my external drives.  GKSUDO opened a prompt for me to select my file manager of choice, which then opened and allowed me to thereby open another one, pointed to my HDD, and thus be able to copy over from it to my external, thus allowing me to rescue my files as desired.

Thanks for your input, Zaka.  Your response is appreciated nonetheless.
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads