Upgrading to 12.04.4 Revisited: What directories to backup?
  • spartanspartan
    PMPosts: 18
    Hi LXLE developers,

An awesome distro you made!

Please excuse me for a noob question.

I'm currently using LXLE 12.04 32-bit and about to upgrade to 12.04.4 revisited release.

In order to avoid losing the settings (desktop, panel, installed apps, autostart apps and other user preferences) when upgrading, what directories should I backup (except /home)?

Thanks in advance~ :)
    LXLE revives my old machines~ #happy :)
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    just save your files to usb or something, keeping home actually isn't good. There are way too many preferences for the OS stored in there, if you keep home you will wind up with kinda sorta 32bit revisited.
  • spartanspartan
    Thanks lxle, but I don't quite understand what you meant.

I want to keep user settings because I have installed some additional programs, customized the look of UI using 3rd party themes etc. I don't want to lose all the settings and start over customizing again when I upgrade. I'll backup as needed, but I don't know what directories (where important files stored) I should backup.
  • famewolffamewolf
    PMPosts: 62
    Most of the app settings are in /home/user/.config with a subfolder per app...you can backup some there..others like pidgin or mozilla create their own dir (.purple and .mozilla in those examples)....you might look at an app called "aptik" which will back up your ppa's, apt-cache, apps manually installed as well as themes and icons.  Given the sheer volume of changes as much of a pain as it is, a clean install is the way to go but you can always backup some of the info to a flashdrive to restore.  You'll have to lookup via search engines where each app you want to backup stores it's settings if you can't find them in .config.
    Thanked by 3lxle spartan Zaka
  • spartanspartan
    Thanks famewolf for your enlightenment~ :)
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads