Dual Boot with Win 7
  • Paul1949Paul1949
    PMPosts: 10
    I installed LXLE to an Asus netbook, and was so impressed that I wanted to install it to my HP Pavilion dm1 as a dual boot with Window 7.  However, the LXLE install doesn't give the option 'install side by side with Windows.'  Instead I have to choose "something else" -- which then brigs up the Installation Type screen.  It tells me that "Your installation medium is on /dev/sdb1.  You will not be able to create, delete, or resize partitions on this disk, but you may be able to install to existing partitions there."  This is followed by a table of partitions.  When I click "install now", I get the error "No root file system is defined.  Please correct this from the partitioning menu."  

Being a noob, I have no idea what to do next.  I'm not ready to trash my hard drive in order to do a fresh install of LXLE -- I want to dual boot.  So I don't want to make any irrecoverable mistakes here.

Suggestions?
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Apparently a new ubuntu installer bug, or perhaps a new microsoft accidentally on purpose bug/update. I also ran into this issue.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/169530/this-computer-currently-has-no-detected-operating-systems-when-installing
    Thanked by 1Zaka
  • Paul1949Paul1949
    PMPosts: 10
    Not quite the same problem, since the installer did detect the partitions, and correctly identified sda as belonging to Windows.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Did you attempt to fix it, as suggested?
  • boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    Hi paul1949, going to something else in the installer will give you more control of the installation, but you just can't dive into it if you have never done that before. please look at this. GParted partitioning software - Full tutorial.
    That will get you going, but it's always best if you set up your Hdd with a live disk using gparted before you start your install. It makes it easier when you go to the partitioning part of the installer. you can also look at this. HowtoPartition - Community Ubuntu Documentation. This one can also help you. Lubuntu/InstallingLubuntu - Community Help Wiki
    . At the end of that one it shows you advance partitioning and that is what you would have to do.
    regards
    borunco

NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit