Screen resolution changes back
  • Hi. My name is Jake and I'm new to LXLE. Everything has worked really well with this distro except for one thing. Is there any way to make changes to the screen resolution permanent? I've tried everything I know based on my limited experience with lubuntu. I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm still kind of new to linux. I've used it but it's so stable I've barely had cause to fix things.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    which version of lxle?
  • It's LXLE 32bit revisited version 12.04.4
  • lxlelxle
    open a terminal and type

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

then reboot
  • Ok i did that. What was it supposed to do?

• Here's an update. I did the sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg command in a terminal window. It asked for my password and I did it. It went to another prompt. So i closed everything and rebooted. I know it did some updating when it was rebooting. The resolution which I had set in ARandR screen layout editor was 800x600. When I rebooted it had reverted back to 856x600 so the screen runs off the page. Back when I was running Lubuntu I had the exact same issue but was able to correct it by adding the line '$ xrandr --output default --mode 800x600 --rate 60' to the /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE folder and it worked great. I tried it on this one and it didn't work. So i thought perhaps beings I'm using the XP-Paradigm, perhaps it would work if I put i put it there in autostart.conf file. That didn't work either. So i've now removed all those changes and am back where i was. If you need any more info I'll be happy to provide it. Thanks
  • lxlelxle
    add

@xrandr --output default --mode 800x600 --rate 60

to the autostart file of whatever paradigm you use located in

~/.config/lxsession/
  • There is a file in the XP-Paradigm folder that is autostart~. Do i have to change the name of it or just leave the tilda at the end?

• lxlelxle
    that is a directory path to show you where the files are located.
  • I followed the path and found a file called autostart~ with a ~ after it just like that. Is that the file? I edited that one with the line you said to add but it had no effect. That's why I asked did I need to rename the file to autostart.conf or something or take the ~ off the end.

• lxlelxle
    no that is not the file that is a backup file to the actual autostart file, you are not looking for any kind of ~  that simply represents your home directory has nothing to do with anything else... find the actual autostart file and put the full line in , including the @ sign in front of it.
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads