• xetaprimexetaprime
    PMPosts: 3
    I just returned from my firend's house. He's 67 years old. Though he's played with some of my live disks through the years he's never had linux installed on his computer. He now has LXLE dual booting Win 7 on his desktop and LXLE alone on his Toshiba laptop. Found his wifi connection on the laptop with ease! The boot screen is really slick! Not a single hitch installing configuring either. So a big thank you for a very nice system. P.S. Having Remastersys running by default is a big plus in my book!
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Glad to hear your friend is willing to walk on the wild side and especially that you are both pleased with the ease of installation!  It's always nice to hear success stories.  ;)

I bet he ignores the Windoze portion in a month or two.  image
  • carryonrewardlesscarryonrewardless
    PMPosts: 1
    Another thank you for LXLE 14.04.
    Having been a LXDE user for some time and Lubuntu in particular since Mint withdrew from supporting LXDE it was great to come across LXLE.
    I have it multi-booting with Win8 (yuk) on a recent laptop HP Envy M6 with i7 so it moves along ok.
    Installation went very smoothly (excepting for MS's UEFI interference in the world!) and it booted fine.
    A couple of things to note in case there are issues needing to be fixed:
    The dock was not enabled by default. No big deal.
    The cups software would not connect to the localhost server. I had to completely uninstall everything cups and re-install cups before I could get printing working at all. This maybe an issue beyond LXLE but I have not seen anything like this before.
    The installer detected my location correctly but did not update the locale so I had to do this manually to get date formats etc. correct.
    There was no network icon in the tray - this required nm-applet to be manually added to the Autostart options in the LX Session manager. Again I think this is a broader issue in the Ubuntu world for 14.04.
    Generally I like the selection of software but have added favourites of VLC and Deluge. Also added the login screen background as a grub menu background. Adds a nice feel.

Keep up the great work!

• AxelHAxelH
    PMPosts: 11
    Dear LXLE team,
    the entire family is using LXLE since a year now - everything is fine. No reason to search for another distro.

Thank you very much for your work! LXLE "puts the fun back in computing" ;-)

Just yesterday I read Distrowatch's recent review - obviously many more share my view...

@ Ronnie Whisler - please don't worry and please don't give up! As always happy people rarely send positive feedback, and only the annoyed ones give a loud scream.
    Second: Always when you start something entirely new - most of the people will not understand - otherwise they would have done it on their own. Always - if you write a good software, build a different house or just wear another hat...

Thanks for your impressive work,

Axel

Thanked by 2lxle Zaka
  • rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210
    I have finally had time to install 14.04. As I expected you have out done yourselves again! This distribution is more than a work of art. It is so useful and functional out of the box. Where you come up with some of the software, I have no clue. But every release comes with a pleasant surprise or two! 

Thanks for all your hard work! LXLE has become the only os on my machines. 

You have shown us all just how quick and beautiful LXDE can be! I for one love adding the LXDE profile and tweaking the heck out of it, and then switching back to one of the default paradigms whenever I need quicker and stabler!

Thanks again!
  • DanaDana
    PMPosts: 20
    Hi, I work with a group of US expats in Central America, many of whom have older Windows PCs, and with MS dropping support for security updates, they are concerned. 
    So far, this is the easyist distro I have tried or used, and have just a couple of suggestions for users such as those I work with. 

Its good that you have Firefox available, and that its easy to set up Google Chrome for those that want it. Libre Office is great, and most people have little problem using it. 

It would be better if Skype was more readily available for installation and use vs Linphone, as so many people use Skype for communications with those who are 'back home'. 

Most expats I know use their PCs for communication and entertainment, as well as for some office keeping, like tracking household budgets. As long as they can import thier docs, music, photos and videos with little problem, they will be happy campers. So far LXLE seems to handle all of this very well. 

Other than that, this is simply great.

Dana

• rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210
    Skype can be installed much like it is in windows. Just go to www.skype.com, download the appropriate .deb file and install with gdebi. Just choose the ubuntu version. But it may be as easy as opening a terminal and entering...

sudo apt-get install skype

Either way, it's pretty simple. 

I think around here they prefer open source, and try to stay away from proprietary software as much as possible. Who knows what licensing hurdles they would have to jump to include it in the base install.

Regards,

RFry