Problem installing 14.04
  • steve_osteve_o
    PMPosts: 26
    Just installed 14.04 on my secondary disk(sdb), and at the beginning of the installation partition 'sdb1' was shown with the option install next to other OS's on the disk, selected. I assumed this was where it would be installed by default,which was ok,  and pressed continue. No message on the actual partition was shown and the install was done on 'sdb9'!!!. This is not acceptable. You should be told which partition is going to be used with the option saying NO.
    Then without asking it overwrote the boot sector on my primary disk with grub 2.02 bta.. This is completely unacceptable. I have now lost my Ubuntu Lucid grub menu from my primary operational disk.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    The installer is exactly the same as any other Ubuntu based distro, selecting the option 'other' would have given you greater control of where the distro would be installed, which was the third option on the list.
    Thanked by 1steve_o
  • steve_osteve_o
    PMPosts: 26
    I realised there were other options, but it 'appeared' to have selected a partition - the one I would have selected anyway, so I just hit continue. It would be useful if it told you what it thought you had selected and then asked permision to carry on , especially as there is the possibility to do great damage to your operational system.
  • You could help by adding comments to this extensively subscribed bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1265192
    Thanked by 1steve_o