Kabini problems
  • I'm new to linux so I built a new Kabini system to play with linux and learn and sitting next to it is a 1995 Pentium 4, I have installed over 40 different destros on the Kabini system with over half of them having problems the 1995 Pentium system never had. 

Your new beta release is having the same problems that Mint 16 and older releases had and some other distros are having. They involve sound problems and when clicking on the menu button and shutting down it takes forever for the log off, reboot or shut down to appear.

Now here is the strange part the current non-beta version works fine, but Lubuntu and your new beta versions are doing as described above. Last night I re-installed LXLE 12.04.4 non-beta and I have no problems with the sound or the shutdown menu.

The Kabini system is causing the problems and it makes me wish I never built this computer for Linux. Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Kubuntu work fine as do about half the destros I have tested. I still have the older release of LXLE on the Kabini system and I will continue to use it, BUT what is the base problem with the Kabini system causing problems with linux. 

The Pentium system I have will run any of the 32 bit destros and my "modern" AMD Kabini system is driving me nuts. Do I need a bigger hammer, should I sell off the Kabini board and build a Intel system or find another hobby at 64 years of age.

Signed
    The frustrated Old Man.   
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    thats called a regression, at times it does happen particularly with aging hardware, older distro's are usually better support on older hardware, there is an updated 32 12.04 version being released shortly.
  • I do not have "regression" I have a brand new computer that is having problems running Linux.

I could not get Mint to work until the new Mint 17 came out.

My "NEW" quad core Kabini 5350 processor and Gigibyte mother board have problems with over half the Linux destros.

My older 1995 Pentium will run any 32 bit version of linux.

Is this problem with just the AMD Kabini processor or just some motherboards?
  • lxlelxle
    "Now here is the strange part the current non-beta version works fine,
    but Lubuntu and your new beta versions are doing as described above.
    Last night I re-installed LXLE 12.04.4 non-beta and I have no problems
    with the sound or the shutdown menu."

A regression in the software (OS) if 12.04 works just fine on the system but newer versions of linux do not.

At first I did think you were speaking of the P4, however that doesn't change the answer in this situation, in both instances I was speaking of a regression in the software, if an older version worked but newer does not.
  • lxlelxle
    Perhaps a search on http://uduck.org might give you some clues, i can't seem to locate anything directly related to that particular kind of setup.
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    I searched on 'ubuntu kabini sound problems' and came up with a few threads.  Knowing a bit more about your rigs specs might help, especially the mobo/chipset combo and the CPU model.

Post #19 at this link might offer you a solution path:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1483429/amd-kabini-owners/10

Keep us posted, eh?  AMD cpus are big with builders and this seems like an important issue that should generate an upstream fix, if indeed, that's where the problem lies.