Suggestions for LXLE
  • famewolffamewolf
    PMPosts: 62
    This is a wonderful distro for older hardware.  I hope the recent issues with 32 bit will not cause you to abandon that platform as you provide a much more usable system than the default lubuntu setup.  I do however remain confused as to why lubuntu 14.04 i386 boots fine while lxle will not if the issue is strictly a kernel issue?

Anyway on to the suggestions:

Provide a base install, even if text based that does fit on a cd with an addon package that can be installed via apt afterwards to bring the system to "current level".  As an alternative provide an image of an already installed system that could be flashed to the hd via dd or some other method.  This would allow hardware with less than 512mb to still work.  For example I have a laptop with 256mb and a 1gb swap space that works well even with firefox and web surfing. It's not always easy to acquire a dvd drive for older hardware (I ended up purchasing one on ebay) and the laptop in question had a USB 1.1 port that flat refused to boot using PLOP boot manager and a boot cd. If I forced usb 1.1 mode in PLOP settings to mode 1 I could get to the boot menu but it would hang once I hit enter on any selection.  Speaking of swap space, for systems with less than 2GB memory please consider increasing the swap space allocated.  Currently you appear to allocate swap on a 1 for 1 basis....1GB ram gets a 1GB swap area...in the early days the rule of thumb was 2X or even 3X memory and this works better for pc's with 1GB or 512mb.  

My understanding is you went from leafpad back to gedit but in doing an apt-cache show leafpad the description seems to indicate leafpad's primary purpose is to use less resources than gedit so I didn't see why it was left out.   For users who like a drop down console similar to yakuake/guake the program stjerm with the appropriate settings in .Xdefaults provides a very light clone.  Screenshot available here:  http://postimg.org/image/qpa8g0kzl/

.Xdefaults used:  [ copy/paste the following lines into a file named ".Xdefaults" in your home dir ]

stjerm.key: f1
    stjerm.opacity: 60
    stjerm.foreground: #66ff11
    stjerm.font: "Monospace 10"
    stjerm.width: 90%
    stjerm.border: thin
    stjerm.scrollbar: right

A suggestion related to the conky you use which is very nice but defaults to showing eth0 activity.  On a laptop the user will regularly go from wlan0 to eth0 or even wlan1 and eth1...if a symbolic link to the actual device was used and that symbolic link was updated when a network was brought up, possibly using the if-up.d and if-down.d directories and a script to monitor network changes (at least that's what they are on opensuse..ubuntu is new to me) then network activity would always be the current device....this would also work for the lxde network monitor if you change the device monitored from eth0 to for example "net0" or some such symbolic link.  The final suggestion would be that the "Onyx" windows borders would seem to be a better fit for the XP paradigm than the current ones used.

Thanks for working hard to make a very nice os to use....it's the first other distro I really liked enough to consider using long term other than opensuse which I've used for several years.
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656

I try not to get into too many versions, with this desktop or that desktop or minimal or full, I keep it as focused as I can and stick/maintain a certain goal, although not a great solution for everyone it does tend to lead to better support and a more polished distro at least in the style that its done in, it's an eclectic respin and keeping it simple seems to work best.

As for gedit over leafpad, I'm not one for picking lightweight apps just because they are lightweight, I found gedit has some useful features I like at my fingertips without opening libreoffice that leafpad just doesn't offer, I tend to sway to the side of light system with capable feature rich apps regardless whether they are lightweight or not.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    btw, your suggestion above will probably make it into the distro :) thanks