LXQt?
  • jinxedjinxed
    PMPosts: 8
    Hello my dear Penguin clan comrades... Just now I noticed the existence of a new joint development born from the LXDE team and the KDE Qt developers: LXQt.

Aparently, It's going to be the main branch of the LX* desktop enviroment (At least as I can see from PCMAN on the official blog: http://blog.lxde.org/?p=1117).

So, I'm curious if LXLE team is going in that direction too...

Thank you for reading.
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Nothing stays the same, does it?

LXDE is geared to be light and kind to resources and coupled with OpenBox, if fairly screams on moderate pcs ~ adding overhead for bells and whistles will satisfy some, but hopefully they will keep an OpenBox branch.

Unless your pockets are bottomless or you devote resources to computing as a dedicated hobby, most folks cannot afford the high-end rigs with the latest and greatest.  imo, There will ALWAYS be rigs that need distributions that split the difference between bleeding edge and yesterday's news.
  • jinxedjinxed
    Well, PCMan was saying that optimization is still on development/needed, and on further reading, the main objective seems to be a lightweight distribution with low resources machines just like LXDE, only with the addition of more compatibility with Qt and (apparently) more people working on it.

The main reason as to why I'm using LXLE now (and replaced windows xp on all my pcs), It's that I have no money to buy new machines, and everytime I bought one, I kept the old one in use (selling them was not an option), so this distro is wonderful, faster than xp on several aspects (including wine for particular software).

So the only thing I was wondering about is that if (and only if it is) the optimization is good and there's practically no difference in memory/cpu usage vs LXDE, there will be a LXLE version on several years from now (the next ubuntu LTE after 14.04 maybe? I know it is a lot of work and I am thankful for that).

I'm in favor of lightweight linux distributions, and I didn't really like the last "official" KDE/Gnome ubuntu iterations. I tasted lubuntu, went back to xp, and then LXLE (I love it).
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    I hear ya' ~ but the memory usage hits were between 30-50% increases ~ to me, that's fairly stiff.
  • LxQT is the result of a merger between LXDE and Razor-QT teams.  LXDE has expressed interest in using QT elements and Razor-QT is to KDE as LXDE is to Gnome.  So the merger makes sense for both teams.  Personally, I'm super curious and excited to see what they come up with.  The OSS ecosystem in Linux land is littered with forks and divergent projects, but when is the last time you saw a merger?!  Rare!!!

If you want to see the LxQT desktop in action, the only distro I know of that includes that DE by default is Siduction.  It looks nice, very promising, but it isn't quite ready yet, IMO.  I'm not psychic, but as LxQT matures, I think the "gap" between LXDE and RazorQT will diminish and eventually LXDE and LxQT will morph into a single seamless DE, at such time as it's "ready."

LXLE burst onto the scene not too long ago and has caused me to reconsider the usability of a lightweight desktop environment.  LXLE has improved so much, so quickly, and I have been so impressed with it.  I like it a LOT!!!  With every new release, I tweak it a little more for my personal preferences and it's now to the point where I'm seriously considering whether to replace the Ubuntu OS on all of my production machines in my small network (over 10 machines!) with LXLE!!!  I don't want to rush it though, I'm letting LXLE evolve on its own terms.  Let's let LxQT do the same and see what the uptake looks like when it's ready!  I agree with Zaka.  I do like the way it looks, but I'm not ready to trade LXLE's performance for looks, otherwise, I might as well stay with my quite attractive but somewhat slower Ubuntu!  Let's be patient and let it happen!
  • jinxedjinxed
    I agree with all of you. I also don't want to trade performance for looks... That's the point of LXLE (but to me it already is good looking enough ;) ).

It's good to read solid based opinions. Let's hope that LXLE can stay with us for a very long time!

Thanks for reading.
  • Salutations...

Chubbychops @ Peppermint (Lubuntu) forum installed LxQt.  He said there is not a drastic difference.  However... to the best of my knowledge LxQt from what I read could be 3x larger.  What I believe is the real difference is under the hood... Wayland (better rendering) or the promise of it and the elimination of Gtk (too many dependencies).

Best Regards...
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    LXQT in its current form is junk, many features and abilities found in LXDE is not available in LXQT and its a fat pig, I'm avoiding it as long as I can or at least until they get it actually usable.
  • Salutations...

My money says... install LxQt (beta and/or bloated) if not satisfied with the status quo. Install the OS, desktop and apps that float your boat (even BIG ones that are missing a few marbles) as long as your boat is not the Titanic.

Best Regards...
  • This is an old thread but I have to comment here.

If you're running an Lubuntu based system you do not want to install LXQt.  In the process of installing it you have to enable the lubuntu daily builds ppa.  I.e. the untested unstable bleeding edge version.

So what you'll end up with is a beta DE release and an unstable main DE as well.

I've tried LXQt when I had Xubuntu installed.  Frankly for a beta release it's damn good.  But it's not really useable as it stands.  Too many features I think essential are greyed out.  I'd definitely consider it when it's actually finished ... a stable version that is.
    Thanked by 1Robin
  • LXQt is available for Porteus, which I'm trying out.  The USB only approach means I'll be able to use linux on my work laptop & windows 8 PC without messing anything up.   Interested to see it comes with Opera....don't know of any other distro that does that

Are there any other distros out there that are entirely designed for USB but have proper permanence? My first impressions of Porteus are that it's great as it is, but for the non-geek, adding "modules"/installing stuff is a real chore.