Hibernate button = Not Authorized error
  • famewolffamewolf
    PMPosts: 62
    When logging out the usual buttons such as reboot, shutdown, standby etc work as expected however trying to hibernate the machine results in a Not Authorized error being displayed in the panel and then it acts like I chose standby.  

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Because xfce4-power-manager is not installed, its a memory pig, so it was replace in 12.04 with qshutdown which is an on demand solution that wastes no memory when not in use.

http://wiki.lxle.net/doku.php/configuration
    Thanked by 1famewolf
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    The hibernate/suspend routines have been a thorn in many sides for the last few releases.  Ubuntu disables Hibernate by default because it doesn't work predictably on many machines.

I have resorted to using only Suspend ~ and thankfully, it works 95% of the time ~ every so often it will refuse to un-suspend and requires a hard boot.

It still beats having to shut down/reboot the pc all the time.

Yeah, there are work-arounds, I suppose, but I am big on a no-hassle solution.
    Thanked by 1famewolf
  • famewolffamewolf
    PMPosts: 62
    I was unable to get qshutdown to hibernate....I tried installing the "hibernate" package and it did manage to write out the hibernation files but upon reboot and reload the laptop hung requiring another reboot which deleted the corrupted hibernation backup.....on a laptop being able to suspend to disk is alot more useful so it's a shame it appears to be broken...this was on 12.04.4 since the new beta doesn't have a 32 bit version.

The older version seems to be an issue in some cases since packages such as "iplist" apparently don't exist for 12.04.4 or at least the ppa search was unable to locate a "compatible package".
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Its never been a sure thing in linux which is why ubuntu disables it by default.