12.04.4 32 bit hangs on "Creating user..." when "encrypt home" is enabled. Workaround?
  • famewolffamewolf
    PMPosts: 62
    I'd like to install lxde on a couple of older laptops where encrypting the home partition is rather a high priority in case of theft....using both the install option from within the live cd and the install menu option on boot appears to work until it gets to "Creating user..." and then it just sits there forever.    I let it go for several hours while I was away from the pc and it never progressed.   Redoing the install and not checking encrypt home worked fine.  I noted even when looking at it's default partition for the whole drive it only created a / partition and a swap partition...no separate home partition was created.

It appears the beta is 64 bit only which isn't going to work for my particular situation so is there a workaround I can do to get the drive encrypted with a boot password?

Thanks for reading.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Was this with the 14.04 64bit beta or with 32bit 12.04?
    Thanked by 1famewolf
  • ScottScott
    PMPosts: 20
    Hi famewolf. I believe the 12.04 releases (in many of the *buntu distros) will hang if encrypt home directory is selected at boot. Some workarounds I'm aware of:

Create user with encrypted home directory after installation (encrypting the home directory after installation won't result in an error.)  So, during installation create a user like John Doe with no encrypted home directory. When installation is complete add the desired user and choose the encrypt option.

Encrypt the home directory post installation. Google "Unbuntu post installation encryption" and you should get a fair amount of results. Here's one: http://www.howtogeek.com/116032/how-to-encrypt-your-home-folder-after-installing-ubuntu/. The link is just an example. I have no idea if it works.

Use something like TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/) to encrypt the entire hard drive.
    Thanked by 2lxle famewolf
  • famewolffamewolf
    PMPosts: 62
    Thanks for the replies.  In answer to the first question the version was 32 bit.   I will try the post install encryption instructions!
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads