14.04 Beta 6 Install issue in VM (Parallels and VirtualBox)
  • mfrazzzmfrazzz
    PMPosts: 18
    Hi,

I'm trying to install LXLE 14.04 Beta 6 into a Parallels VM (I'm mounting the ISO as a virtual drive in Parallels).  The Live CD boots fine (I'm actually typing this message using Firefox running on the Live CD in my Parallels VM, but from the desktop, if I double click on the Install icon, nothing happens.  I then tried choosing to install under the System menu and nothing happens.  Decided to reboot and from the boot menu choose to install from there and that failed and then booted to the Live CD Desktop.

I looked under /var/log/installer and found the following in the file dm.  Let me know if there is something else you would want to see.

more dm
    ubiquity-dm: starting
    ubiquity-dm: plymouth
    ubiquity-dm: start X ['X', '-br', '-ac', '-noreset', '-nolisten', 'tcp', 'vt7', ':0']

X.Org X Server 1.15.1
    Release Date: 2014-04-13
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-37-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
    Current Operating System: Linux qwerty 3.13.0-27-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 15 18:06:16 UTC 2014 x86_64
    Kernel command line: file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash -- BOOT_IMA
    GE=/casper/vmlinuz
    Build Date: 16 April 2014  01:36:29PM
    xorg-server 2:1.15.1-0ubuntu2 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
    Current version of pixman: 0.30.2
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu May 22 22:27:40 2014
    (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
    Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
    Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
    Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
    Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
    Initializing built-in extension XTEST
    Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
    Initializing built-in extension SYNC
    Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
    Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
    Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
    Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
    Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
    Initializing built-in extension RENDER
    Initializing built-in extension RANDR
    Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
    Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
    Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    Initializing built-in extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
    Initializing built-in extension RECORD
    Initializing built-in extension DPMS
    Initializing built-in extension Present
    Initializing built-in extension DRI3
    Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
    Initializing built-in extension XVideo
    Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
    Initializing built-in extension SELinux
    Initializing built-in extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
    Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DGA
    Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DRI
    Initializing built-in extension DRI2
    Loading extension GLX
    ubiquity-dm: set vars
    ubiquity-dm: pam_open_session
    ubiquity-dm: dm-scripts
    ubiquity-dm: dbus
    ubiquity-dm: dconf-service
    ubiquity-dm: start frontend gtk_ui
    No such schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.background'
    No such schema 'org.gnome.metacity'
    ubiquity-dm: start greeter
    Obt-Message: Xinerama extension is not present on the server
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail"
    ** Message: main.vala:131: log directory: /home/qwerty/.cache/lxsession/Lubuntu
    ** Message: main.vala:132: log path: /home/qwerty/.cache/lxsession/Lubuntu/run.log
    ***** Imlib2 Developer Warning ***** :
        This program is calling the Imlib call:

imlib_free_image();

With the parameter:

being NULL. Please fix your program.
    ObRender-Message: Cannot load image "xpad.xpm" from file "xpad.xpm"

imlib_free_image();

With the parameter:

ObRender-Message: Cannot load image "gnome-mastermind.xpm" from file "gnome-mastermind.xpm"

imlib_free_image();

With the parameter:

ObRender-Message: Cannot load image "pipewalker.xpm" from file "pipewalker.xpm"
    Activating service name='org.a11y.atspi.Registry'
    Successfully activated service 'org.a11y.atspi.Registry'
    SpiRegistry daemon is running with well-known name - org.a11y.atspi.Registry

** (at-spi2-registryd:2477): WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The n
    ame org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

** (at-spi2-registryd:2477): WARNING **: Unable to register client with session manager
    ubiquity-dm: greeter exited with code 1
    No such schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.background'
    No such schema 'org.gnome.metacity'
    XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
          after 21 requests (21 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    error setting MTRR (base = 0xb0000000, size = 0x02000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)
    (EE) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
    ubiquity-dm: Exiting with code 1
    qwerty@qwerty:/var/log/installer$ more dm

• ScottScott
    PMPosts: 20
    I can confirm the same install issues in VirtualBox (4.3.12). I don't have the log (/var/log/installer/debug) on this computer but can post it later if necessary.
  • mfrazzzmfrazzz
    PMPosts: 18
    Per a chat conversation and Scott's reply, I've modified the thread title to reflect this is a problem with installs on Virtual Machines (VMs).

Another chat conversation indicated a similar issue with trying to install 14.04 Beta 6 via DVD (which would be how the VMs are trying to do this).  Anyone else trying to install via DVD and getting this to work?
  • I am also having issues with LXLE 14.04_64b6.iso to install in VirtualBox 4.2.18.  The Live medium (I actually use the ISO download as the disk image instead of burning to a DVD) boots and runs fine.  My issues revolve around the installer, and it crashes at the same place every time, no matter which options I choose.

As a matter of troubleshooting, let me clarify that I have 10-15 VMs of various distros installed in VirtualBox.  I'm certain it's not a VirtualBox issue, as they all install and work just fine.  I have also successfully installed LXLE 12.04.3 and 12.04.4 with no issues.  I feel safe in ruling out the host machine, Virtualbox, and human fleshware errors, FYI.  This issue is specifically isolated to LXLE 14.04 beta, that was NOT experienced in 12.04.3 nor 12.04.4.

When clicking on "Install" the installer initiates and everything looks and acts as expected until I get to the actual installation process where it asks me to confirm my region/location.  Prior to that screen, I have attempted to install manual partitions (using / mount, /home mount, and swap mounts) and confirm setup, only to crash at location screen; I have alternatively attempted to overwrite the existing LXLE installation, only to crash at the location screen.  The crash message is something to the effect of a "faulty disk" installation medium, or failing hardware drive, or to install in a "cooler" temperature environment.  I would also note that, despite the installer crash, the failed installation has corrupted the underlying 12.04.4 VM so that it will no longer boot (not a problem...it's a VM...I can fix this).  So it has written SOMETHING to the disk, despite the crash.

I hope this may be helpful in troubleshooting!  In the meantime, I'm very excited to check out the new goodies in 14.04 and will be playing with the Live medium until a VM installation is possible.  Let me know if there's any further information that may be helpful in troubleshooting.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Could one of you install in vm and make sure to give it plenty of disk space and see if that cures it. As suggested by this reported bug. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1255290

make it something like 10 gigs just to be sure.
  • My VM installation, referenced above, is a 15GB disk.  I typically provide 10GB, but gave LXLE 15GB to make certain I could accommodate the 1.3GB Live disk when it decompressed.  I've had installation failures before due to a too small disk size, but those failures occurred much later in the installation script.  LXLE fails immediately after selection of installation type (overwrite, dual-boot, or manual).  FYI.
  • lxlelxle
    Ok , we have been working on this most of the day and discovered that part of the 'slimming' process between the beta build 5 and beta build 6 to reduce the size of the iso has broken the installer, fixing it should be simply a process of elimination. Seems many are having success easily with build 5 of the beta which can be found on sourceforge as well.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxle/files/Betas/old/
  • ScottScott
    PMPosts: 20
    Lxle. Sounds like you know what the problem is so I'll be brief. I gave beta5 a try (first option on CD only) in VirtualBox and the result was the same as the previous attempts.

• ElQuiaElQuia
    PMPosts: 41
    I am having similar issue installing in VBox (last version). 20 GB VDI, installer freezes after selecting partitions or even if letting it use whole disk. Erased VM will wait for next beta or final.
    Anxiously waiting for 12 updates also, using it on a lot of old machines (it flies on a P4 with 512 MB ;-) )
  • lxlelxle
    still working on it, trying to figure out where the cause it, some aren't even able to launch the installer under vm, so you got further then most, strangely it  installs perfectly fine on desktops but laptops and vm are having issues, consistently.

I'll be working on it through the night with the team of beta testers that have come out of the woodwork to help. Join us in chat if you want to as well.
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads