Removing lxle from computer without disturbing my other os's
  • slingshotslingshot
    PMPosts: 13
    I just tried installing LXLE as i was told my brightness function keys would only work on a full install.

They dont work at all and I want to remove it, but now if I remove it i think i will ruin the boot up for my xp and windows 7 os's on here

Thanks linux, you've done it again...
    for the last time
  • boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    Sorry that you had that experience, but the truth is Linux. Kicks Ssd on windows any day of the week. You just need a bit more research as a newbie before going and doing a intermediate instal. Regards
    Borunco
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
  • slingshotslingshot
    PMPosts: 13
    Thanks,

I have to disagree though.
    And so does most of the world... they'd rather pay for an os than have to pull out their hair trying to work with a free one.

Linux definately has its plus points..  but I just can't stand the negative ones.

I did manage to find a workaround for my issue though.

I cant get the brightness fn keys to work, but i found a widget that I can adjust brightness with with the mouse:

It works, 
    I've no idea what the second post on that thread is:
    'make a couple of shell scripts with a form like this:
    call this one dimmer.sh
    #! /bin/sh
    xbacklight -dec 2
    call this one brighter.sh
    #! /bin/bash
    xbacklight -inc 2b'

I dont think i'll risk it incase it ruins it.

Anyway..

NOW I can use LXLE as I wanted to use it - a fast and secure web browser.

I will use windows for all my other tasks, but at least I at last managed to get a fast and workable browser, as xp is not as safe these days, and windows 7 is a bit slow for browsing in the netbook.

So it was a success in the end...
    I hope I don't have to do any more tweaking in the future and I'll be happy with my set up.
    Thanks
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    >>>I hope I don't have to do any more tweaking in the future and I'll be happy with my set up.<<<

You mean like running virus scans continually, checking for root-kits, defragging the hard drive, living with spy-bots, updates that take all night, the progressive slow-down of the entire system, registry errors, having to keep that 25-character productkey, keeping track of service pack install/uninstalls, and having to restart frequently?
  • boruncoborunco
    Very well said Zaka, could not have said it better my self, and that's why I left Windows and don't forget the Why did it crash and I lost everything with out you doing nothing. the famous blue screen of death,
    :-S
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    LXLE 32bit
  • ZakaZaka
    >>>Very well said Zaka, could not have said it better my self, and that's
    why I left Windows and don't forget the Why did it crash and I lost
    everything with out you doing nothing. the famous blue screen of death,<<<

Exactly.  How could I forget the BSD, et. al.?  image

I 'support' a good many folks with their computers and it's getting where I do not do 'windows' any longer.

I've dual-booted all the hold-outs and urge them to try Linux.  I had a call for support with the latest Firefox update (when the browser changes people get freaked) and after I set it to rights with a new add-on the user said to me:  "I didn't know how much I hated Windows until you installed Linux Mint."

(I installed that before I found LXLE.)

It's becoming easier to lose Windows with every new cycle ~ thing is people EXPECT it to BE Windows ~ the concept of an OS that operates in a totally different manner is a hard one for people to swallow.  The interface is the key, I think ~ as long as getting around is fairly familiar, people can adapt.
  • boruncoborunco
    I think when people get pissed at LXLE for making the paradigms. They say why try to make something like something that you are trying to leave. But I think that's the only way to get these kind of people to start making the change, and to learn that they have power over there computer instead of the other way around.
    regards
    borunco

Never stop learning.

NEVER STOP LEARNING
    LXLE 32bit
  • ZakaZaka
    Let's face it ~ there are really only so many ways to present an interface for computing, eh?

imo, the paradigms are genius.  Where else can you try different ones and still use the same OS?

Personally, the old gnome interface used to bug me coming from the Windows world, but I adapted, after a disastrous run with KDE 3.0 when it first came out.  I resented the Unity interface, but stuck with it for two and a half releases when it first came out hoping they'd get it right.

The new gnome sucked as much as Unity and once burned, twice shy with KDE ~ I ultimately stuck with Cinnamon ~ tweakable.

I had Lubuntu installed on a lighter-weight laptop and didn't care for the scrawny programs and didn't bother to investigate the lxde/open box combo as I should have,

The XP Paradigm in LXLE has blown me away and I admire the flexibility, and the program load should satisfy most on the planet.  image

Yes, we have power over our environments in Linux ~ but yanno?  Most people really don't WANT it.  They just want a system that works per their expectations.

That's where Clem Lefebvre over at Linux Mint has it stitched up.  Of all the noob's pcs I've installed his system, NONE of them has borked the system or called to complain.  I teach them how to update (the checkmark thingy in the taskbar) and his update scheme allows only the safe and necessary items in the "normal" click-update.  It's an IT Support dream.

I am waiting patiently to install LXLE for any of my friends/family ~ if things aren't broke, I tend not to rock the boat.  Most folks DO NOT like change for change's sake.
  • rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210
    I also believe many windows users are intimidated by their pc. Many of the people I have installed Linux for only know what someone has shown them, If there's ever any deviation from it, they freak out. So they aren't inclined to explore their pcs. This keeps many of them from trying Linux. 

So I agree the xp paradigms help. I also tweak the menu and add some task based entries to help them get started with the new Linux application names. They seem to like it.
  • ZakaZaka
    Good point, rfry85 ~ please 'splain some of your tweaks?  TIA