Installation Problem with NVIDIA: grey screen after starting the Live Session
  • XoxyXoxy
    PMPosts: 5
    Hello there,
    I'm a new Linux convert and I like what I've seen of LXLE.
    My PC is currently running Windows 7 and I want a dual-boot installation for LXLE.
    However, I can't install LXLE because of my graphic card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 580. After starting either the "Boot" option, the "Safe Mode" or the "Install" option I got a grey screen.
    The installer works, I tested it on an older machine.

Thanks for your help!
  • boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    Hi Xoxy, have you tried the live mode to see if LXLE boots in live mode. have you tried it in the safe live graphics mode. If those work you can install LXLE. Linux has drivers for NVIDEA but once you install it you can check for drivers then in the menu>
    preferences>additional drivers. try to explain a bit better so we can help

thanks
    borunco
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
  • XoxyXoxy
    PMPosts: 5
    Hello borunco, thank you for replying.
    I found the error now myself.
    I needed to edit the live boot menu with using <Tab>. I deleteted "quiet splash" and appended "nomodeset" and "acpi=off". I didn't realize that I can do that. [This only works from a Live USB, not from Live DVD]
    Afterwards I was able to install from the Live Session normally.
    With the first boot you need to edit the GRUB options by pressing <E> and again deleting "quiet splash" and adding "nomodeset" and "acpi=off" as above.
    LXLE will boot in a small window but it will work. The first thing I did was getting updates via the Update Manager and then a restart.
    Afterwards I could add the NVIDIA driver via "Additional Drivers".
    it was trial and error.
    Thanked by 2borunco Zaka
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads