iBus input method unusable in LXLE
  • My first post here.

I'm a Chinese Ubuntu user from Taiwan and when I test your LXLE distro, I found out it's difficult to configure iBus correctly so that I can type Chinese.

I know LXLE is meant to support English only, but I don't think it's intentional to leave a broken iBus in the distro.

Here are the things that work:
    • gnome-language-selector can install Chinese (Taiwan) language packs and ibus-chewing (input method) correctly.
    • Many applications can display Chinese interfaces correctly. The login screen is still English but I can get over it.
    But here are the problems:
    • iBus use Ctrl+Space by default to enable/disable input methods. However in LXLE pressing Ctrl+Space pops up a Run dialog, and the input method is never enabled. (Although there is a workaround to re-map the iBus hotkey to Shift+Space, it is inconvenient to use.)
    • iBus status icon is never shown in the system tray.
    So iBus is almost unusable in LXLE, but it comes installed by default. I suggest either remove it from the distro (if it's never intended to work) or fix the problems.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Those issues are inherited from Lubuntu/LXDE, in otherwords, they are not LXLE only problems but LXDE/Lubuntu issues as well.
  • I have tested Lubuntu 13.10 and 14.04 (on a VirtualBox machine) and both do not have the problems I described. Perhaps they have fixed them already.

I didn't try Lubuntu 12.04, though.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    obkey would take care of your ctrl+space issue. Its in your menu's.
  • Ok, I get it. Still, I wish it could work out of the box.
  • Bapi_LinuxBapi_Linux
    PMPosts: 96
    I am a "Bangla" speaking man from India. I had similar issues with ibus even after latest update. The solution is :
    install the following two packages with synaptic......

1) iBus-Gtk

2) iBus-Gtk3  and re-start.

Now. you will see IBus keyboard icon on the system tray.

Enjoy!
    Please click on "Mark as Solved" if your original question / problem got solved. This will help others.

'Lazy people will always find a short-cut for a difficult task"
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • আপনাকেও ধন্যবাদ ।  ( "Thank You Too"--written in BANGLA )
    Please click on "Mark as Solved" if your original question / problem got solved. This will help others.

'Lazy people will always find a short-cut for a difficult task"