Unknown Network Issue
  • Hello everyone, linux noob and refugee from Windows XP here!  I have a (hopefully simple) networking issue:
    I have a shared folder on a Windows 7 machine which I would like to have as a persistent mount on my ex-windows-xp-now-LXLE machine.  Back with XP it was able to see the shared network folder no problem.  Now, with LXLE, I can mount the folder and browse subfolders/open files, but if I leave it alone for a few hours (ie, when I go to school, or to sleep) it seems like it loses the mount.

The window manager hangs for about 5 minutes when I try to open the shared folder.  After this delay, it tells me the mount is broken but if I try to open the folder again anyway (without issuing any mount command from the terminal) it works again no problem (I can see folders and open files, just like nothing had ever happened.)

If I'm impatient, I can force a umount with
    umount -l /media/sharedFolder
    (umount /media/sharedFolder tells me the device is busy)
    but it then hangs for 5 minutes anyway when I try
    mount -a
    and then works as normal.

So what's going on?  Is there some error log I can check?  Am I making things worse with the umount?  It's livable, but very frustrating.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Did you set up the share using samba? Also the builtin firewall can cause headaches with networking.
  • Thanks for the response, but I think your link is telling me how to share files which are on my linux machine with the windows machine.  I would like to share files which are on my windows machine with my linux box.
    Have I misunderstood?

The entry in my fstab is as follows:
    //192.168.1.8/Videos    /media/WinShare        cifs    uid=1000,rw,credentials=/home/peter/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm     0       0
  • lxlelxle
    tomatoe tomato , one is the same as the other
  • I'm not sure I understand.  Are you suggesting I install samba on the windows machine instead of using the native windows sharing utility?
    If not, then when I add a new share on my Linux machine what do you suggest I put in the "Directory" box so that I can access the files which are on the windows machine?  Would "//192.168.1.8/Videos" (the network address of the folder I want) be correct?

My windows files are already shared and accessible to other computers, it's only my linux box which disconnects from them randomly.
  • lxlelxle
    No, samba is already install on your lxle box, it is used to 'talk' to your existing windows network, you can add your windows share folder to your linux box and visa versa, creating a 'network neighborhood'.
  • fibbertsfibberts
    PMPosts: 4
    Hello again.  As far as I can tell, it seems that mount has a timeout which either doesn't release the mount properly or sleeps it in some broken way.  If I set a cron job to ls the mount every couple of minutes it stays 'active' and is not improperly released.

I consider this issue solved, but does anyone have a slightly more elegant way of doing this?  My solution seems a bit messy to me.
  • lxlelxle
    You shouldn't end with a question then close the thread. I reopened it.