System hanging up?
  • BriGBriG
    PMPosts: 3
    Installed LXLE 12.04.4 on my Dell Dimension 2400 as a replacement for Win XP. Love it when it works, but it has taken to hanging on boot up. Right around the 40 second point or shortly after (before the cursor becomes responsive) the top few lines of the system monitor disappear and the boot process stops. After that I am unable to do anything other than use the power button to get any response from the computer. Cursor moves, but does not function otherwise.

I have run Boot-Repair as directed and finally reinstalled LXLE, but I still have that problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brian
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Have you run all updates that are available through synaptic?

Open synaptic

Click Reload

Click Mark All

Click Apply
  • JykkeJykke
    Same kind of a problem here with an IBM NetVista. P4 2.4GHz with Intel 845 chipset. I believe that Dell is a pretty similar thing with 845 chipset. Maybe it's something between lxle and that integrated graphics? I guess I'll try those updates...
  • BriGBriG
    I tried the updates through synaptic, but no joy. Will not even boot into a previous version. I suspect hardware problems, but have no eveidence - just from reading around.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    drop to a terminal try

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Thanked by 1Zaka
  • BriGBriG
    That did it! Thanks much.
    Thanked by 1Zaka
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads