The New and the Old
  • IanDSamsonIanDSamson
    PMPosts: 18
    Dear People of the Page (a term used widely by Anne Rice),

I have joined to learn. Background as long as my age, experience of 30+ years IT, the remainder insignificant history. From a thorough knowledge of all things Microsoft, to Banyan VINES, Novell Netware, Systems Analysis, Web design, slight smattering of PERL on AIX, online databases, dBaseIII, DOS 2.1, PC-DOS, to Linux distros brought about mainly by Microsoft's decision to stop support for XP, with Vista being next in line for deprecation.

I am no Linux Network Administrator, although that is my goal. Despite my six decades of life, and the inevitable inability to remember, I am here to learn. Please forgive my lack of knowledge of things Linux.

Thanked by 1Zaka
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Welcome, Ian!

Didn't see a UNIX reference in your stats, but if so, this next branch on your CV will grow quickly.

It's kinda' cool though, this Linux ~ you can learn as little or as much as you wish, yet still make a distro your own and a custom fit just for you.

The Tricks, Tips & Tutorials section has some real gems, for starters.  You'll be just as productive (prolly more so) as you ever were in the Windows world.

Have fun!  image
  • Thank you, Zaka, no mention of UNIX in my stats, but I did write "slight smattering of PERL on AIX" which is exactly what it was. I had sufficient to log into UNIX/AIX perform basic commands for the web daemon, and run a few perl scripts. That was all. I'm no longer involved in web httpd or scripting since my experience terminated abruptly in 2001 when I was retrenched because I could not get my reasoning around Java. I experienced extreme difficulty in obtaining replacement employment, so the path of the Autodidact has been rocky, steep and very slippery.