Hangs after install / system configuration almost complete
  • alopataalopata
    PMPosts: 16

I have a Dell Latitude D600 (1.4 Ghz Intel Pentium M), 768MB RAM, 60GB hard
    drive. I was using Bodhi Linux, but really like the way LXLE looks when I booted to the live DVD/USB stick. I have unsuccessfully tried to install LXLE (12.04.4) from the live USB, using both the install link on the desktop and from the install selection in GRUB. After neither of those worked, I figured out how to create a USB installer with One Button Installer and tried that. It also did not work.

After struggling with this for a while, I downloaded Lubuntu 12.04.4 and installed it without a problem from live USB. I prefer the programs and look and feel of LXLE, so I'd like to get it to work.

Each time when the installer is nearly done with the installation (or after using One Button Installer at booting up, when it is almost done with System Configuration) – which is after setting up a username and password, the installation hangs and never completes.

After it configures the keyboard, etc., A dialog box that says: “System Configuration” and underneath it: “Loading module 'usb-storage' for 'USB storage'”. Sometimes it just hangs there and never moves on. Most of the time the dialog box
    and graphical user interface with disappear and be replaced with a
    screen full of text lines like this:

[ 280.602040] BUG: unable to handle
    kernel NULL pointer dereference at 00000041

and that ends with this line:

[ 280.604029] CR2: 0000000000000041

The little cursor indicator is still moving, indicating that the computer is doing something, but it never moves on from that last line. I don't know how to find a copy of the screen dump (or whatever it's called) showing everything from the screen, except for taking a photo and uploading.

I'd love to get this working. It seems that if Lubuntu 12.04.4 works, LXLE 12.04.4 should work.

Thanks for any help.

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/341422/linux-kernel-programming-unable-to-handle-kernel-null-pointer-dereference

lxle uses kernel 3.2 which is different then what lubuntu 12.04.4.

Also do not check/select any updates or codecs during install, that may resolve the conflict as well.
  • @alopata Any chance you can drop to terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and produce the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log file?
  • lxlelxle
    How about trying my suggestion first. If not successful we will get into the log file.  Thanks anonymouse52
  • alopataalopata
    When installing, I haven't been loading updates or codecs, and haven't been encrypting home folder.
  • alopataalopata
    I'm currently downloading lxle-2013-08-19.tar.xz in OBI to see if that works. 
  • lxlelxle
    We don't support the OBI and or one button installer approach. If you have problems with that method please contact that developer. The OBI is not even a real installer.
  • alopataalopata
    It doesn't appear that any method is working. I'll use the live USB install and try to drop to the terminal when it hangs again - unless you think I should try something else.
  • FYI: The Ubuntu and family 12.04.4 releases feature the 3.11 kernel. 
  • alopataalopata
    I used the install link on the desktop of the live USB. I chose install over and replace existing installation. I did not choose update install, and did not choose the third-party codecs. I did not choose home folder encryption, but left the requirement for password on login. The installation gets all the way through "Detecting hardware ..." and then the screen goes blank, and then shows me a screen full of lines that begins with (actually, I think there were more lines above this that I cannot see or access):

[   652.796024]  [<c110bc0a>] ? do_munmap+0x16a/0x200

The 7th line is:

[   654.168633] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at f0fab55c

and the last line is:

[   654.172018] CR2: 00000000f0ab55c

I tried CTRL+ALT+F1, but it did not get me to the terminal. It did make the "working" cursor disappear.

Any ideas?
  • alopataalopata
    I tried Safe Graphics Mode and ended up at the command line.  Anything I can do from there?