XServer and Graphics Adapter Support
  • KenKen
    PMPosts: 3
    I just tried LXLE for the first time yesterday running live from a Flash Drive.  Everything worked perfectly.  My motherboard graphics adapter is based on the SIS 661FX chipset and is about ten years old.  It does not work with Ubuntu or Lubuntu beyond version 12.04.0.  The XServer in those implementations changed somewhere around version 12.04.01 or 12.04.02.

Has LXLE implemented a different XServer than what is used in Ubuntu?  Will it remain that way in the next LTS release?  I was very pleased to see LXLE boot without problem as my system only seems to work with fairly minimal implementations.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    LXLE sticks with an older kernel to ensure better compatibility with aging hardware.
  • KenKen
    Glad to hear that LXLE is supporting earlier hardware including my SIS graphics.  Is graphics support likely to stay the same in future releases?

I was quite surprised that Ubuntu and its variants implemented a new XServer somewhere in the middle of the 12.04.xx release cycle.  My nine year old motherboard graphics has been incompatible since that change right up through the current releases.

LXLE looks terrific in my system.  Thanks for all the hard work.  I hope to install on disk next week.
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • KenKen
    LXLE is now installed on a portable USB hard drive.  All works great with the exception of an apparent bug in Libre Calc version 4.2.0.4.  Excel files seem to get corrupted in some cases and an Internet search confirms.

LXLE was installed on that disk using a nine year old WinXP computer with PS/2 keyboard and mouse.  Somewhat later the disk was attached to my new Win 7 computer and it booted right up.  Mint 13 is also on the same USB disk and it failed to boot under the same circumstances.  Does anyone know if that is to be expected at times with various distributions?

Regardless, it is a plus for LXLE that it booted without problem when attached to a significantly different set of newer hardware.