some bugs and suggestions
  • First of all, thank you for your hard work building this distro, as it is quite valuable for older hardware that lubuntu doesnt support any more with its pae-enabled kernel. The application selection is quite nice and complete.

So i installed lxle on an old Gateway laptop with Intel Pentium M 1.60Ghz with 1.2GB ram and after using it for a day, i wanted to submit these suggestions.

1) prominent placement of software center and control center in menu - it would be great to have these two in the panel menu under preferences or alternatively at the top of the systems tools sub menus, so its easier to see it with all of the other entries. i am aware these two are in the left panel, but unfortunately the left panel caused me alot of problems with its popping out at unsuitable times, so i had to remove it. i think 'lxle help' can also help being in the menu.

2) panel and icon size - with the default panel height of 24 and the icon size of 22, taskbar entries show a 2 pixel height gap as they have a different color as the panel color. so i think it would be better to have them as an equal number.

3) conky showing background image - well i decided to go with only a background color for my desktop but whenever the 'hide/show info' is enabled, its still pulling the a section of background image to put behind it.

4) linux kernel image selection in update manager - when i click on the linux-image-3.2.0-60-generic package in update manager, the cpu jumps to 100% for about 2 minutes and halts interactivity with the update manager.

5) exit doesnt close roxterm - i typed 'exit' in the roxterm terminal and it doesnt close the window.

6) alternative applications - as lxle is geared towards being lightweight on older hardware, i think some less reason heavy applications should be used for text editing (mousepad or leafpad), photo editing (gnome-paint, pinta), web browsing (midori), etc.

7) more education software - there seems to be quite a few applications under games but only 'libreoffice math' under education. it would be nice to have a few in this category that people could benefit from if they choose. maybe a typing tutor (klavaro), map (marble), programming language (basic-256, tutleart) and maybe a few from the various education bundles.

8) improved search in quick launch - it would be good if the quick launch application was able to search more than just the application's name but also the application description, so that if i searched for ftp, it would bring up filezilla.

I know that a number of these bugs/suggestions are with applications that not under your control, but i'm just bring it to your attention so that you can contact those individuals if you feel the suggestions are useful. I look forward to your next release, hoping that its based on ubuntu 14.04.

• Forgot to also mention that lxle shows up in the grub menu as Ubuntu.