Compatible Laptops and Netbooks for LXLE
  • paul59paul59
    PMPosts: 4
    HP Pavilion 15 64bit AMD quad core, Radeon HD7600G, 8Gb RAM.

Everything works 'out of the box' with the exception of volume control buttons (i.e. 'fn' key plus F6/F7/F8) - brightness controls work just fine though.

Great Work!
    Thanked by 1borunco
  • OtakuN3rdOtakuN3rd
    PMPosts: 28
    I can confirm that LXLE runs on the following systems:

Dell Latitude D600 (Radeon 9000 graphics, 1.8GHz Pentium M, Atheros a/b/g wi-fi) - Everything works out of the box

IBM Thinkpad R51 (Radeon 7500 graphics, 1.5Ghz Pentium M, Intel Centrino 802.11b/g wireless) - Everything works out of the box

Acer Aspire One AOA-150 series (Intel Graphics, 1.6GHz Atom N270 processor, Atheros 802.11b/g wireless) - Everything works out of the box

Compaq Presario x1000 series (Radeon 9200 graphics, 1.3GHz Pentium M, Intel Centrino 8092.11b wireless) - everything works out of the box

Dell Latitude D620 (Nvidia Quadro 110M graphics, 1.66GHz Core Duo, Atheros 802.11b/g wireless (not original wireless chip), Dell Bluetooth module) - For best performance install proprietary Nvidia graphics driver (use the one labeled recommended), and a tweak to the Conky config will be needed (see post in help and support on this forum for details).  I can also confirm compatibility with Dell Latitude D620/630 that have the Intel graphics chip, for these don't use the Nvidia drivers.  Systems with the Intel Core Duo are restricted to 32-bit, Core 2 Duo systems can use either 32- or 64-bit.  The Latitude D620/630 systems make excellent LXLE Machines.

Acer Aspire 5050 series (Radeon x1100 graphics, 1.6GHz Turion 64 x2, Atheros 802.11b/g wireless) - everything works out of the box (I remember the first Aspire 5050 series I had - trying to run Ubuntu 8.04 on it was a nightmare, what a long way we have come!)

Dell Inspiron 6000 series (Intel graphics, Pentium M 1.6Ghz, Intel Wireless card) - Everything works out of the box

IBM Thinkpad A31 (Radeon 7000 graphics, 1.9Ghz Pentium 4-M, no internal wi-fi, used Belkin PC Card with Broadcom chip) - everything worked out of the box, but had poor performance (the 1.3Ghz Pentium M in the Compaq above outperformed the 1.9Ghz Pentium 4-M).

Compaq Evo N180 (Mobility Radeon M6 (RV100), 1.0GHz Pentium III, 1GB PC133 RAM (Maxed out), no internal wi-fi).  Using wired internet connection. My DVD drive is bad, so I installed it via USB flash drive.  Had to use PLoP boot floppy to boot from USB.  Installation was slow due to USB 1.1.  System is VERY responsive for a Pentium III.  Sound does not output to internal speakers, but works thru headphone jack (See this thread).

I will post more systems to this list as I test them, though I will not post custom-built systems as they tend to be one of a kind configurations.
    Current LXLE systems:

Dell Inspiron 530 - Intel Core2 Duo E7300 2.66Ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4350, ViewSonic 19" 1280x1024 and Benq 17" 1280 x 1024.

IBM Thinkpad R51, Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache, 2GB DDR RAM, Mobility Radeon 7500 GPU

Dell Latitude D620, Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Quadro 110M
    Thanked by 1borunco
  • DanaDana
    PMPosts: 20
    #1 Model: Dell Vostro 1000 (2007)
    #2 Processor type: Amd Athlon x2 DC tk-55 1.600MZ
    #3 Storage: WD 500 gb - 2 partitions, one WIN XP. 
    #4 Ram (2 Gig of DDR 2)
    #5 Video card: ATI? 
    Thanked by 1borunco
  • hulshulshulshuls
    PMPosts: 1
    Acer Aspire One A110 Netbook
    Processor type (2x Intel Atom cpu N270 @ 1.60 GHZ
    Storage Solid State Disk 8Gig (originally installed)

RAM: 512MB

Video card (?)

Here's my experience:

unetbootin: live boot LXLE 12.04 revisited OK. install stops at creating user, no such file,

Multi system: live boot LXLE 12.04 revisited OK. install stops at free disk space: continue is greyed out

Startup disk creator: live boot LXLE 12.04 OK. install hangs at creating user. clicking the x on the window and then clicking quit produces new window: installation complete. Booting hangs at prompt.

Startup disk creator: live boot LUBUNTU 14.04 OK. Install finishes OK. Boot OK. Problem with wireless. Known bug

Startup disk creator: live boot LXLE 12.04 OK. install OK probably because I have chose to NOT encrypt home volume. Known misconfiguration for wireless qualcomm atheros card: ath5k drivers had been blacklisted. Remove blacklisting and wireless OK.

Happy working wit LXLE in  Netbook mode. Still would like to install LXLE 12.04 revisited if I only knew how to get it to install on 8 Gig disk

Thanked by 1borunco
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Encrypting home on any ubuntu 12.04 is a known bug that will hang the installer on creating new user.
    Thanked by 2hulshuls borunco
  • Dice_for_Death_Dice_for_Death_
    PMPosts: 3
    Acer Aspire 5250
    AMD Dual-Core Processor "C-50" (what that translates to, is anyone's guess.)
    320 GB HDD
    2GB DDR3
    Integrated graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6250.

I installed by way of the 32-bit ISO, but that was proving glitchy, so I opted for the 64-bit version, since my laptop originally came with Win7 64-bit, it seemed a safe enough decision. My experience improved, and I've stuck with it for close to two months now. It's lightweight enough, perhaps a bit moreso than Lubuntu and Linux Mint XFCE, so I deem it a keeper, for this my hand-me-down hardware.
    Thanked by 1borunco
  • rock_cogarrock_cogar
    HP DV4 laptop
    Intel i5 2.4 ghz
    700 GB HDD
    8 GB memory

64 bit ISO works well.  Set this up for my psychologist wife to complement her Win7 laptop, she likes it.

My experience is more with KDE, MATE and Gnome desktops on Centos, OpenSUSE and Fedora, so LXDE is new to me.

Issues:
    ---------
    Compiz and Emerald crash
    Blackmate theme's window decorations do not work (does any non standard window decoration exist?)
    Power manager does not work
    Cannot find where to configure the actions when laptop lid is closed
    Thanked by 1borunco
  • RonRon
    1. Dell Inspiron 1011 Mini 10v 
    2. Atom N270 @ 1.7 GHz 
    3. 250GB 5400 RPM disk (I wonder if I should change for a 120GB SSD) 
    4. 2 GB RAM 
    5. Intel Graphics video card 
    6. Bluetooth 
    7. Broadcom Wireless 
    8. Camera
    Issues
    ==============
    1. Everything works perfectly - except that the laptop won't sleep when the lid is closed. It sleeps from the manual sleep command, and wakes when the lid is opened. It may be that I don't understand how it is designed to work.
    LXLE 12.04.4 32-bit re-spin on Dell Mini 10v w/ Atom N270 and 2GB RAM
  • Asus Netbook X201EP using USB Pendrive (Linux Live Loader from Windows). LXLE 14.04.1 64-bit.

Processor     : 2x Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 847 @ 1.10GHz
    Memory        : DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, OnBoard Memory 4 GB
    HDD            : 320 GB SATA (Single OS)
    Video           : Integrated Intel HD Graphic (res: 1366 x 768 pixels)

NOT Tested for: Microphone and Camera.

Issue:
    Fn+F* control (e.g, brightness control, sound control) doesn't work out
    of the box. Pear OS 7 was having the same issue, but the next Ubuntu
    release fix it. I don't know, perhaps this issue on LXDE side.

Everything else is GREAT. Thanks.

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    menu>preferences>brightness