• Hello there folks ! First thanks for making this cool  respin , i really like it .
    I just have one question   for now .
    Is
    there a  way to  make  Ubuntu 14.04  LXLE right now , maybe a script ,
    or something . I got now 14.04 installed  on my desktop  but Unity  is
    not quite to my liking  . Right now i am installing Lubuntu  desktop and
    will purge Unity with extreme prejudice ( nasty abomination that it is 
    !!!)  so i  hoped that there is away  to get all LXLE settings on too
    like on my old laptop .
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Well you could tweak the Openbox settings ~ but the many distro apps, wallpaper, etc. will be missing ~ plus, the kernel is different.

It doesn't take all that long just to reinstall LXLE ~ and it's a tried/true 12.04.4 LTS version good thru 2017.

Honestly, LXLE is head and shoulders above even Lubuntu.  If you installed with separate /root, /home and swap directories, you can keep your home partition and not format it ~ that way your browser settings and settings to other programs in common will remain.

If you haven't done that perhaps now would be a great time to learn how to manage the basic partitions on an install so you can keep your /home directory through multiple distro installs?  Just thinking out loud here...
  • boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    Very good answer Zaka, and also to add to that. Ubuntu 14.04 has not even released. Yet so he must be running on the betas, not a good way to be with. A main install. The beta would be my testing set up.
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
    Thanked by 1Zaka
  • Hi guys !
    Yes i am running daily iso and it seems quite stable , for a fun  and not serious business PC . Also  yes i have it partitioned  , 60 gig SSD for root  and 2 TB  HDD for  home , so yes i can reinstall it on a whim .
    One reason i  tried 14.04  is to see how it gets along with my android tablet . In 12.04 i had to install gvfs from  ppa and add gmtp  to it to be able to  drag and drop stuff in to it , since i really do not want to reboot in to WIN7 just to  use my tablet .
    Also if i can finally be  100% MS free than  , 14.04  is good step forward . Also  final release is 1 month away  , so it is not that long to hobble along with wonky  system . ;)
    Also since LXLE is based on LTS , does that mean that there will be 14.04 version of LXLE soon ?
  • @sigajotcore I think the next LXLE planned release will be on a 14.04.1 base...and/or a possible 12.04.5 base if there is one.
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    On 14.04 ~ Read the  About This Community... on LXLE's Google page:

https://plus.google.com/communities/117952382327022208339?partnerid=gplp0
  • boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    That is correct you two, and to add to that. LXLE will also continue with the 12.04 release till end of life, as to give as much time as possible for older hardware. End of life 2017, that will keep the 3.0.2.xxx kernel going which is a LTS kernel.
    Regards
    Borunco
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
  • Alrighty then  !
    So far i have stripped all unity stuff and added all my preferred apps  and now starts gutting of stuff i can  live without or find lighter apps  that will fit the job . This is kind of fun/learning experience  .
    Then i will compare  old laptop and/or your live cd  and see how close i get .
    Either way  , your work is kind of a target for wickedly fast and practical system .