How to add apps to the startup of any session ?
  • Just installed Rainlendar2 ( yeah, i know there's Osmo too ... ) and wanted it to run each time i start my session.

After a while, all i can find is the "Desktop Session Settings" that allow me to select a limited number of apps, with no room to add more ...

Googled around for a bit, and learned about something called "Startup Applications" that is on Ubuntu 12.04 ... but apparently not on LXLE ?!?!?

Any tip will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Lubuntu is not as intuitive as the other 'buntus in this regard, but not to worry.

Here are two threads that should get it sorted out ~ the first is drag-n-drop, the second thread is a bit more explanatory.  Hope this helps!

http://askubuntu.com/questions/81383/how-can-i-add-new-autostart-programs-in-lubuntu/81385#81385

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Boot_Install_Login 
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • Thanks a ton !

It certainly isn't that intuitive, but everything was explained crystal-clear on the first link ( the second one doesn't work by the way ) .

Thanks again .

Now it's time for the next fight: having all the hard drives mounted in the beginning of each session

Cheers

• ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    They mount when you click on them and stay mounted until you unmount.  You have to click on them anyway, so why is auto-mount necessary?  Thanks, I'm just curious.  ;)
  • Yes, that's one of the very few things i was more than aware of about Linux ... but i share this computer with more people that barely managed to find their way through windows xp with my help so i need to keep things as simple as possible .

This computer has 3 hard drives, one for LXLE, while the other two are NTFS formatted ( still with WinXP installed, although i/we no longer boot it in order to adapt to LXLE ) , with 4 different partitions.

Two days ago, somebody wanted to download something through the torrent client, but we use a specific, dedicated, NTFS partition for that ... problem is, you can't simply click on the torrent, click "start" then start downloading .... you need to mount yourself that volume first, then start the download, the torrent client won't do it by itself.

It's no problem for me ( although must admit that getting rid of one step is always nice ) but it is for the rest... so basically that's why 

Anyways, it's already fixed :) , was much easier than anticipated, just downloaded ntfs-config, couple of clicks, and voilá !

This whole experience is kinda shameful for me as i was much more active with computers over a decade ago, even programmed a little bit, but let it go, forgot a lot of stuff... even the introductory linux basics from back then, but now i'm really excited to see it's more mature than ever with so many wonderful distros :D , so once i finish updating all the computers at home, will start learning Linux from scratch during summer ( already signed for it ) .

On the meanwhile, it'd be great if you could check this :

http://lxle.net/forum/#/discussion/16/how-to-select-from-lxle-paradigms-five-desktops-

XP-paradigm is nice for the other users here, but i'd rather go with Gnome2 when it's my turn... and can't seem to do it now :/

Thanks again ;-)