LibreOffice spreadsheet nowhere to be found ?!
  • Greetings

Just a newbie on linux here escaping from the evil :)

Installed LXLE and looked like Libreoffice's spreadsheet software didn't work .

Tried upgrading to a new version through terminal ( 4.2.2.1 build 1 right now ) ... but still, can't seem to launch calc.app

Tried again uninstalling libreoffice then installing again ... but changes nothing.

Used synaptic to repair broken packages with no luck, and just now tried installing calc through synaptic once again but this is the error message i get:

Selecting previously unselected package libreoffice-calc.
    (Reading database ... 116024 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libreoffice-calc (from .../libreoffice-calc_1%3a4.2.2~rc1-0ubuntu1~precise1_amd64.deb) ...
    xz: (stdin): Compressed data is corrupt
    dpkg-deb (subprocess): subprocess data returned error exit status 1
    dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libreoffice-calc_1%3a4.2.2~rc1-0ubuntu1~precise1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
    short read on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/lib/libreoffice/program/libsclo.so'
    No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
    Processing triggers for menu ...
    /usr/share/menu/lxrandr: missing required tag: "section"
    Skipping file because of errors...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libreoffice-calc_1%3a4.2.2~rc1-0ubuntu1~precise1_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

any idea or alternative method i should try ?

thanks in adance for your time

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    tested and working here, perhaps reload the repositories in synaptic 'reload button' and completely uninstall and libreoffice stuff you have remainin then do a fresh install of libreoffice. Without being able to replicate the error nor having any other cases of the same failure its difficult to diagnose what the problem is.
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Additional thought:  Change repository.  In Synaptic, go to Settings/Repositories and you can select an alternate repository and/or test for the best/fastest one for your location. 

It sounds like something just fell out of the bit bucket on a download.
  • Ok, just did this:

"sudo apt-get purge libreoffice*"

Then, went to Synaptic and completely removed any broken package ( there was 2 remaining ) 

After that:

"sudo apt-get clean" ( just in case )

"sudo apt-get update" and finally "sudo apt-get install libreoffice"

Had to do this several times, because i'm always getting a corrupted package. Righ now, i have LibreOffice installed, even with spreadsheets .... but there's still something corrupted.

I'm always having trouble with this one :

"xz: (stdin): Compressed data is corrupt"

Not sure if i can remove just this file & try again ?

• ... and now, i just re-did exactly what i posted above .... no corrupt files this time, libreoffice & calc is working properly ... but still, i got this error during the installation:

/usr/share/menu/lxrandr: missing required tag: "section"
    Skipping file because of errors...

is really relevant ?

• @maerskian I'm not sure how it occurred but I fixed that 'missing tag: "section" ' problem by editing that file and inserting a backslash \ at the end of the first line of its contents.
  • maerskianmaerskian
    PMPosts: 8

Done ! ... just in case .

Thank you very much for your help, will be diving around & learning about this fascinating LXLE . So much to discover ... and need it to please everybody using this computer too ( all coming from WinXP ) 

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
All Threads