Flash Video With Live DVD
  • KnobbyKnobby
    PMPosts: 3
    Hi, I've been looking around for an easy to use light Linux distribution to replace XP, when it goes out of support soon, on a couple of relative's ancient PCs. I like the look and philosophy behind LXLE, it boots from the live DVD fine, finds my wi-fi and connects ok, but I don't seem to be able to view streaming video in Firefox on sites like YouTube and the BBC. Is this a common or known problem, or is there something I need to tweak? The forum search doesn't throw up any obvious leads.

I've also tried the current LTS version of Mint, which seems to work ok in this respect, but I'd like to give LXLE a bit more of a try if I can. Any ideas what might be wrong?

• KnobbyKnobby
    By the way, that's running the latest 32 bit 12.04.4 version of LXLE on a 2.4GHz AMD Athlon with 1.5GB of RAM.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    not sure, try the live dvd on another machine as well to determine whether its computer specific.
  • KnobbyKnobby
    Thanks, I'll try one of the relative's PCs when I'm next over there. As it doesn't seem to be a common occurrence I might also try an earlier LXLE and see if that's any different. The MD5 checks out fine and it verified ok after writing to disk, so I don't think it's a download or burn issue.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Sounds weird I know, but some machines insist on an older version of flash to work. Wouldn't have believed myself had I not encountered it 2 or 3 times. Flash is installed by default and should be working. Test on another machine first.