Wrong Broadcom Drivers Installed
  • OAnghusaOAnghusa
    PMPosts: 4
    I got an old Dell Inspiron B130 laptop running with LXLE over the weekend and it's running great.  However, during the install, I ran across something that gave me some fits.  Since I was able to solve it, I thought I would pass it on. (Forgive me if I've got some of this labeled/described wrong--I'm a Windows XP refugee with this machine, new to Lubuntu...)

I had no wireless connection at all following installation.  I did have a wired connection.  As I poked around with stuff, the 'proprietary drivers available' icon came up in the tray, and when the driver tried to install, LXLE would hang and then crash.  I rebooted a couple of times with the same result until I went looking on the net and hit upon the right search words.  That gave me the lspci command so I could see what type of card I had.  Turns out the laptop uses a Broadcom 4318 wireless card.  However, the standard Broadcom drivers that were installed turn out to be for Broadcom 432x cards and not for a 4318, and those drivers with my card were apparently causing the crash.  Once I knew that it was a 4318 and that the b43 drivers ran that card type, I was able to use Synaptic to uninstall the standard driver and install the b43 driver.  That solved the problem.  It's been running fine since, stable as a rock, wireless running flawlessly.

I just wanted to pass this on, since it may cause people to give up on LXLE (or others--Lubuntu, etc), especially if they're coming from Win XP and are expecting it to be a drop-in substitution on older machines (which it really is, despite this).

Is there a disconnect between the device type reported by lspci and the hardware check that cause the other driver to install?  I don't know anything at this level to even guess.
    Thanked by 2Zaka Oddmoore