Multiple failures at loading LXLE
  • Hello,

I've had multiple failures attempting to get LXLE to run.  I have created USB images three different ways - downloading the ISO (MD5 checks out) and using USB Image Writer (Mint), copying the ISO using DD, and extracing the ISO from the Linux Format 177 DVD using MakeISO.  Here are my results so far:

Desktop (2007 Dell Inspiron):
    Linux Format DVD live - spun up, blinking white cursor on gray background.  After about a minute I got some sort of welcome chime but screen did not change.
    USB stick - "No boot device available, press ENTER to retry"
    I'm not really interested on installing LXLE on this computer, moreso on the netbooks below, but wanted to see if it would work.

Toshiba NB 550D:
    Chose USB from boot menu, Splash screen about Intel and Realtek drivers, then dropped into Grub menu for installed Linux

HP Mini210
    Chose USB from boot menu, screen black for a couple of seconds, then Grub menu for installed Linux.

Pretty sure I'm not doing anything wrong with generating the USB image as I've done this before with other distros a handful of times.  Is there a way to check the integrity of the generated USB image (other than having it work ;)?

Soooo, I've got about five hours invested and am ready to give up - any ideas?   
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Not sure what to tell ya, linux format magazine wouldn't have shipped a non working iso DVD, as for the usb, what are you using to create it?
  • Like I said in first paragraph, I've used the USB Image Writer included with Mint, and also DD'ing the image using your instructions from a post here in Nov 13, then I tried using the MakeISO option as suggested by the LXF disc author. 

Are there certain video drivers LXLE doesn't play nice with? The desktop is running an Nvidia GT520, the netbooks of course use whatever's inside their boxes.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    lxle uses the same exact code base as ubuntu and or lubuntu as well as the same installer, three machines in a row is too many to have a specific graphics driver issue and too many iso's , between linux format and the downloaded version from here for it to be a singular iso issue, try creating the usb using pendrive linux, gdiskdump or startup disk creator. I haven't received many if any reports of the installer not working on three machines in about the same way.
  • nonferrousbuellernonferrousbueller
    PMPosts: 7
    Okay, after another bit of faffing, I finally got it to work on the netbooks (oddly, still won't boot on the Dell, but I don't need it to).  Used the ubuntu startup disk creator (Pendrive linux appears to be a website of howtos).

1st attempt at install failed as I neglected to check "format the partition"; on reboot it tried to load the old Mint, which of course failed.  2nd time lucky, though there was one point late in the install where nothing seemed to be happening for a REALLY long time, like 10 min or so, and I almost gave up but didn't.  All good now, exploring the system and tweaking it to my liking.  So far, very good!

On the handful of times I've shut it down, so far it hasn't hung on shutdown like lubuntu used to, and it doesn't run the fan at high speed like Mint did.

Only complaint so far is the menu doesn't expand out as fast as it did under lubuntu.  We're talking fractions of a second, but it's a perception thing!

Thanks for help, I look forward to using this distro.
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads