Software selection
    • I generally prefer a smaller ISO to having a bunch of software I probably won't use, but the software seems well-selected so far and I am intrigued to try some of the Sound & Video selections in particular.
    • Nice to see DuckDuckGo fully integrated as the default search engine in Firefox.
    • I like PCManFM. It feels snappier and looks lighter than Thunar. I like the tabs, though they confused me at first (I was testing the taskbar and thought each new instance I opened was causing the last to disappear, until I noticed the tabs). I have encountered two issues, one mentioned elsewhere & the other is that the navigation arrows feel too small, or at least too close together (I'm using an 11" 1366x768 screen).
    • Was surprised with all the software not to see the common (in lightweight distros) AbiWord and Gnumeric. I only used AbiWord to open RTF files (& would prefer to find something lighter for that -- for now I'm using FB Reader) but Gnumeric does what I need a little faster than Calc. No biggie, they're just a few clicks away for whoever wants them.
    • Very pleased to see Catfish default to searching the Home folder. In Xubuntu and Crunchbang it defaults to searching the "catfish" folder which drove me crazy. It also looks nicer here.
    • Wow, that's a lot of games.

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Lightweight everything kinda sucks. Creates a about half a real computer in my opinion. Whats the point of saving system resources if you never then spend some of those resources on better apps. Its the mix of programs and technologies that makes it work not an ideology of lightweight only, everywhere.
  • Sure, I was just surprised; I don't think it's a bad decision.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    As for the number of apps, there are a boat load of bare minimum distro's out there, which was never the intention of LXLE. I originally built it for myself, friends and family to just have something I could install on aging hardware and not have to spend a day setting it all up with all the apps and such. I was converting so many of them so often that I grew tired of configuring and remembering everything and or making sure all the apps that they would or could use were there. Necessity was certainly the mother.
  • Sure, I didn't mean to imply I thought that was a bad idea, either. I don't think all distros should be bare minimum or even middle of the road. It's definitely nice to not have to install a bunch of stuff, and it can even introduce a user to options they might never have considered that they end up loving. The handful of programs I did install were either specialized or just something I have a particular attachment to.

Also, though I don't normally read books on my computer I like that you included an ebook reader.